How to attract humming birds?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi there,

I was wondering if you have any tips for attracting humming birds.
We have a little garden and I would like to have more humming birds around because ethey are so cute and my kids love to watch them.
Any ideas?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The best way to attract hummingbirds is to plant the food source they look for in the wild. I don't know much about the plants in Germany, but maybe you could do some research to see what your species of hummingbirds typically go to in your area. Native flower sources tend to attract them even more than feeders.

Here in my area, they're really attracted to Penstemon as well as Mexican Sunflower.
IMG_9658 copy.jpg

IMG_3198 copy2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Do you live in Germany, @sahara1981 ? As far as i know, the only hummingbirds in Europe are fossils and hummingbirds are specific to the Americas so i was surprised to see your question. In India, there are sunbirds, but not hummingbirds. Perhaps you are from Germany, but living in the Americas? If so, and if i knew where in the Americas you have a garden, i might to able to suggest some specific plants for your garden. If you do indeed have hummingbirds living in Germany, this will be a big surprise for me. Do you know Genus/Species living there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can just try putting up some hummingbird feeders in your garden. You can find them online. If you don't have hummingbirds coming, I am sure you will get other birds or butterflies :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
United States
Here in California, my Lantana plant seems to really attract hummingbirds. Our neighbor does have a feeder too though, so I can't say for certain which of us is attracting them.

Ask a Question