How old were you when you started gardening?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I'm not sure, but I think it'd not be easy at all to get one of those certificates :( The Netherlands is a country where you need to do a lot paperwork for almost every single thing you want to do. I'll be full of paperwork with my own migratory papers, I can imagine what sorts of things they'd ask me to allow me import safely a few bulbs. Gosh, they're so bureaucratic.
Here in India we have this rule specially if we have to take any such thing with us to a foreign country.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was about five when I moved in with my grandmother and she started teaching me about gardening and harvesting and storing food. I remember learning the difference between flowers and weeds, how to keep the tomatoes going in the drought we were having, and how to harvest beans and corn at the farm across the street. I also met my first garter snake! I also fell in love with our lilies and honeysuckle bush. I also learned that we were never going to get rid of those Black eyed Susans Grandma planted that one year and we need to grab the seeds quick to keep them from taking over the garden. Good times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is so nice :) I'll never know what is like to have a mom who likes gardening or cooking....lol. I envy those who do! Wish my mom shared my liking for plants and living things in general. It's nice you started out so young and still have interest for this wonderful hobby :)

The grass is always greener as they say. My mother was into a lot of "hobbies" and really into having me learn as much as I could, but it was mostly to somewhat groom me to become a trophy wife/homemaker. There's nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong (different strokes for different folks) but it's not what I wanted. It's what she wanted.

A ton of stuff she taught me is useful today, but at the same time there's a lot of useless stuff that I learned as well that I will never apply in my daily life. Operas, classical music and more. Gardening stuck because it has a ton of uses for me and I enjoy it for what it is, not because I wanna one up the neighbor across the street when she gets a new fancy variety of whatever.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I started when I was in my 20s. My husband and I had moved to a home that already has a beautifully manicured lawn and gardens that were overgrown. My brother was an avid gardener, so he came over and helped with the weeding, which was much fun, but he also encouraged me to go to the nursery. We spend probably 2 hours there, looking at all the wonderful plants. He explained to me the difference between annuals, perennials and biennials.

Over the years, he taught me to look at growing conditions, like sun, shade and water. To always look at how big the plant got, and what kind of habits it had, was it trailing, did it climb, was it something that needed to be staked, etc. He also showed me how to look at not just the blossom, but also at the leaf structure and color - so you could have an interesting garden even when the flowers weren't blooming. He taught me so much. He died when I was in my 30s, but I still think of him every time I'm in the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a great story galmal, thanks for sharing, so sorry about your brother but how wonderful to have those memories of him.

Ask a Question