How many mulched leaves can a lawn take?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My town is about 400 years old. I'm pretty confident that in 20 more years, I'll still be able to grow my lawn any length I want, and paint my house any color I want.

Hopefully. I grew up in this house. Parents got it when I was a kid. It was all farm land them, the old farmer died and his kids sold off sections of land to make more money. There was no one around then, now we are part of a city that kept expanding. Never say never lol, especially when the world population has already hit over 8 billion and when we moved here it was about 4 billion and I'm only in my 40's lol.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I divorced and sold my farm, moved here to take care of my parents. So I was gone for 20 years and the change since then in this area is mindblowing. My dad and I use to target shoot with the rifle from the back porch. Try that now lol.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A fellow neighbor, has a awesome garden, she is 80 she is refusing to sell it to a non-gardener.

I don't actually understand that. I have known people who did the same but most of the time unless it's turned into a national park or something people don't want to carry someone else's dream, even if someone does they will either die or sell eventually and it will be turned into someone else's dream or a 7-11 store. This home and property has a huge amount of my childhood memories and many other memories to this day but if I leave and sell i know it becomes someone else's. Even if I stay and pass it onto my son making it passed down 3 generations I still don't expect him to live my dream and not his own. I just don't get it, nothing lasts forever and memories are for each individual during this short life.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So back on topic, I'm excited to see how well this works and if it really helps the lawn. I've been mulching the clippings almost exclusively since I started to win the war against crabgrass. So this should work very well in the back, mulching everything back there. I'm still skeptical that the mower can handle everything in the front but we'll see once I give it a try.

Here's a question that's probably unanswerable. When I put the chute on my mower, what percentage of grass and leaves are going to get mulched inside the mower and fall to the ground, and what percentage are going to get shot out the chute with minimal mulching? If I mow in the same direction, walking backwards like I'm snow blowing, I could mulch some amount of leaves in place while the excess shoots towards the street. Then at the end, I'll have a ridge along the street I can just suck up with the yard vacuum.

Its depressing to think this work is only a few months away. I want more summer :/

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here's a question that's probably unanswerable. When I put the chute on my mower, what percentage of grass and leaves are going to get mulched inside the mower and fall to the ground, and what percentage are going to get shot out the chute with minimal mulching? If I mow in the same direction, walking backwards like I'm snow blowing, I could mulch some amount of leaves in place while the excess shoots towards the street. Then at the end, I'll have a ridge along the street I can just suck up with the yard vacuum.

Usually with a mower when mulching you remove the chute so the leaves just spin around under it and as you go the mulched leaves are left on the ground behind it. I'm sure your mower will be able to handle them, it's not like they fall all of a sudden at once so you will have to mulch them every few days or so as needed otherwise the mower will just push most of them to the sides if there's too many.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm in my 40's so time is ticking for me considering it takes decades to get a place just how you want it with trees and garden soil etc.
I was in my early thirties when I purchased my forever property. I couldn't really afford it, but I knew that by the time I could, it would have soared in value to where again I couldn't afford it.

It's a vicious cycle. Some people, except my wife, thought I was crazy buying that much land and going that much in debt. They were probably right but I have never regretted the decision.

Today, the property stands as the most valuable thing I own and provides a bountiful living for all of us. It has increased in value in excess of 10-fold since I purchased it and once again it has risen to where it would be unaffordable to purchase now.

Moral of the story...buy it young, buy it right, and reap the benefits over a lifetime.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate grass and do everything I possibly can to kill it in and around my garden every year from spring until fall. I don't know how anyone can have a bad lawn, I'm sure even nuclear fallout wouldn't kill it.
I have lived in the Mountains with no grass. People up there work so hard to have grass.

Right now with the Drought my Lawn looks bad and my Trees are dying.

The Conservation Department is trying to say it is mostly old Trees. To water the ones we want to keep. Are you people kidding I'm already running thousands of gallons a month just to keep things alive.

It rained here yesterday almost a half inch it rained in town 1 and a half inches so we are not considered in a Drought.

North of us got 4 inches and getting about that today.

big rockpile

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
so we are not considered in a Drought.

North of us got 4 inches and getting about that today.

big rockpile
Compared to me you have abundant rainfall. It's funny to hear folks complain about lack of rainfall and high heat. No rainfall here since May, daytime highs averaging 105 deg and have had only one nighttime temp fall below 80 deg. since June. But nothing to complain about...it's just Texas weather and you adapt or not.

By the way, big rockpile, the peas I recommended to you earlier as a soil builder are ready to pick now.... again. Second generation peas. Should I pick them or shred again for a third generation of peas?

p.s. It sounds like you are located on the "ring of fire". That is what is commonly called the area on the outside edge of high pressure systems in summer. The big High pressure ridge causing so much grief this summer across the South is centered over Houston area right now and anyone within it gets no rain and those on the edge, the so called "ring of fire" get good rainfall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Compared to me you have abundant rainfall. It's funny to hear folks complain about lack of rainfall and high heat. No rainfall here since May, daytime highs averaging 105 deg and have had only one nighttime temp fall below 80 deg. since June. But nothing to complain about...it's just Texas weather and you adapt or not.

By the way, big rockpile, the peas I recommended to you earlier as a soil builder are ready to pick now.... again. Second generation peas. Should I pick them or shred again for a third generation of peas?

p.s. It sounds like you are located on the "ring of fire". That is what is commonly called the area on the outside edge of high pressure systems in summer. The big High pressure ridge causing so much grief this summer across the South is centered over Houston area right now and anyone within it gets no rain and those on the edge, the so called "ring of fire" get good rainfall.
We lived in the mountains of Colorado. Many don't know it is considered high county desert.

We have had maybe two inches of rain for last 15 months. No significant Snow for 10 years.

My wife woke in the Panhandle of Texas, looked out the window and said Texas is flat!

I stayed down by the border. Not much down there and more Jack Rabbits than I've ever seen.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have lived in the Mountains with no grass. People up there work so hard to have grass.

big rockpile

I guess that is my point that I don't understand some people's obsession with grass. The amount of work and money maintaining something that has absolutely no beauty or benefits unlike flowers or food.. it's nothing but green, boring dull green carpet that in my opinion is pointless. Although I do keep on-top of the lawn maintenance simply to add value to my home and it's decent exercise so I don't mind cutting it. But to me homes with white pebbles and stone walkways, flowers, veggies and trees is much more pretty then grass carpet. Something like this:

1652086546-white-rock-landscaping-ideas-7618-img_6278d7121ccf0.jpg

As far as the drought I wouldn't worry, you can't kill the stuff. It might be as brown and crisp as a french fry but once it gets water it will grow back eventually.

I stayed down by the border. Not much down there and more Jack Rabbits than I've ever seen.

big rockpile

Those bunnies provide free lawn cutting and hasenpfeffer for supper 😂

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I guess that is my point that I don't understand some people's obsession with grass.

Those bunnies provide free lawn cutting and hasenpfeffer for supper 😂
I could not agree more. One of life's great mysteries in that obsession. Think what great things could be accomplished with all the (wasted) resources spent on lawns.

I had to look that one up:

"Hasenpfeffer is a traditional Dutch and German stew made from marinated rabbit or hare, cut into stewing-meat sized pieces and braised with onions and a marinade made from wine and vinegar."

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I could not agree more. One of life's great mysteries in that obsession. Think what great things could be accomplished with all the (wasted) resources spent on lawns.

I had to look that one up:

"Hasenpfeffer is a traditional Dutch and German stew made from marinated rabbit or hare, cut into stewing-meat sized pieces and braised with onions and a marinade made from wine and vinegar."

Funny story... When I was a kid there was a bugs bunny episode where Yosemite Sam was a chef for the kind and the king wanted hasenpheffer so he went after bugs bunny. I never forgot it, wanted to try it and eventually did years later. When there is a food I want to try I never give up lol.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
  • ½ pound bacon, diced
  • 3 pounds rabbit meat, cleaned and cut into pieces
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup finely chopped shallots
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules