How do I get rid of perennial weeds growing from between stems at base of shrubs?

Reaction score
Country
United States
how can I get rid of "perrenial vine type weeds and shoots of maple trees that find their way between the branches at the base of my shrubs, in this case a crab apple shrub. I cannot get between the stems (they are so tightly bunched i cannot remove the weed plants by their roots) at the base of my shrubs to remove these pesky vines and small maple trees.
It might sound silly but can I clip the weedy vine down and soak the the "cut" end of the vine in some kind of vegetation killer solution with a rag?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! (y)

I'd steer clear of any herbicides, as you could cause problems for the shrub. How much space have you got to work with? Could you try using a long thin weed remover to get to the roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
how can I get rid of "perrenial vine type weeds and shoots of maple trees that find their way between the branches at the base of my shrubs, in this case a crab apple shrub. I cannot get between the stems (they are so tightly bunched i cannot remove the weed plants by their roots) at the base of my shrubs to remove these pesky vines and small maple trees.
It might sound silly but can I clip the weedy vine down and soak the the "cut" end of the vine in some kind of vegetation killer solution with a rag?
Yes, there is a simple and easy way to kill the shoots of trees. GreenLight makes a product called Cut Vine and Stump Killer. Just cut the shoot as close to the ground as you can and apply a few drops. The chemical will be sucked up by the shoots into the roots and it dies. As for vines just do the same thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, there is a simple and easy way to kill the shoots of trees. GreenLight makes a product called Cut Vine and Stump Killer. Just cut the shoot as close to the ground as you can and apply a few drops. The chemical will be sucked up by the shoots into the roots and it dies. As for vines just do the same thing.
Chuck, thank you very much, i will find this GreenLight and let you know how it turns out, thanks,.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! (y)

I'd steer clear of any herbicides, as you could cause problems for the shrub. How much space have you got to work with? Could you try using a long thin weed remover to get to the roots?
thanks for response Becky. the stems of the bush are too close to remove any tree/weeds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia

Great news for me too Chuck. I virtually dug up a carpet rose last year to dig the onion weed out and thought i had been successful but alas the onion weed is back. It looks like my pink carpet rose has morphed with the onion weed to make a new bush. I'll be looking for the Cut Vine and Stump Killer too. And I have a low stump i usually leave a small table over it to save tripping. I'm sick of it in that spot and have moved it and so far I haven't tripped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've had to do this with a few of my bushes also. Seeing as how you are from NJ in another couple of weeks you can dig the entire bush out. Hose the root system thoroughly, and replant. I'll be doing this with a pussy willow in the near future. If you have a real problem weed like bindweed, you might wanna think about moving the plant for the winter, while treating the original area til you are sure it is not coming back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I hadn't thought of moving my carpet rose temporarily to treat the area properly like you suggest Licenter but I will consider it for next winter. We are heading towards Summer here is Australia, not that you would have thought so today, rain, wind, hail, cold and it's Spring time :confused:

Ask a Question