Hippeastrum commonly known as Amaryllis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given one for the last three Christmases, all different, and thought it time I gave them a good chance. I planted them in a trough in the greenhouse with plenty of room and a particularly nice compost mix, and the bulbs are looking HUGE compared to their normal growth in the diddy pots they came in. Starting to look like they are going to die down now, so really looking forward to Spring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reading up I discovered that to bloom they need a period of cold to bloom, no problem for mine which are in a cold greenhouse over winter. However, it seems they are often put in refrigeration to get them to bloom indoors at Christmas, but with a warning. If you put them in the salad compartment at home and there are apples in the fridge they become sterile and don't bloom. I don't know why, presumably the apples give off a gas when ripening like tomatoes and bananas, but presumably not the same thing, as they didn't mention tomatoes which one might expect in the salad drawer.

Ask a Question