Heĺlo from Canada

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I am a very enthusiastic newbie. I tried making a leanto greenhouse afew years ago to extend my hot pepper growing season. Failed miserably inboth efficiency and a esthetics! So i bought a palram 6x8. Put it together myself. Ran lee valley irrigation to it an numerous pots around my deck. Added small solar power system.
Experimented with solar water heating a trough of water. Worked to moderate temps in the spring and summer, but that was it.
Lots of other experiments and playing.
In August I purchase d another Palram 6x4.
I also built some cold frames.
Have kept busy trying new things and hungry to try more and that is why I am here!
After all I am only in my sixties!
Lori

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lori, hello and welcome from central Texas! We bought our little farm when we were 60, and have been having fun ever since. We collect rainwater in large tanks; have tried different vegetable crops; and generally amused the neighboring "real" farmers with our antics.
I know gardening in Canada is very different from gardening here, but I bet we share some experiences. Glad you joined!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thank you for your warm welcome.
I have a small suburban lot so my plants are judged for their "real-estate" value. A great amount of my plants are in pots. Hanging inside the greenhouse, outside on rails, sitting on the deck and in the greenhouses.
I do have a natural gas heater in the larger one to extend the season either end and use 2 dietz oils lamps to raise the temerature in the small greenhouse by as much as 8F.

Both greenhouses are shut down right now because it is too expensive to heat these structures in bitter cold temperatures.

They've only been shut down a week or so and I really miss puttering around out there. I do go in there just to look at the empty trays.

I set up some stuff in my basement to start seeds for next year so it will be only a month or so before I can get my hands dirty again!

Best regards and keep you knees dirty,
Lori

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I forgot to mention that the Z6A in my handle is my hardiness zone so that everyone will understand what climate I deal with. Ontario has zones going from 6B all the way to O and wouldn't ask a question without telling you the zone here!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

Ask a Question