Growing celery from kitchen scraps

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's really interesting, I've never heard of doing this. Thanks for tip. Did you ever transplant it? Did it actually produce edible celery? I love propagating new plants, it's always amazing to me that I can create new life.

I didn't transplant it, didn't occur to me because the jar was the whole point of the science experiment. But I don't see why it wouldn't work just as any other seedling. If you try it, be sure to let me know the results!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Actually, I was making stir fry the other night, and when I cut the end off the celery, I decided to conduct the experiment myself. I put it in a bowl with water and am anxiously waiting to see what it does. I'm thinking that if it "sprouts", it will be about the right time to transplant it outside and see if it grows into a real celery plant - that's actually edible. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, I was making stir fry the other night, and when I cut the end off the celery, I decided to conduct the experiment myself. I put it in a bowl with water and am anxiously waiting to see what it does. I'm thinking that if it "sprouts", it will be about the right time to transplant it outside and see if it grows into a real celery plant - that's actually edible. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Yes, keep us updated. If it works, we should consider starting a thread on experimental transplants... I'm intrigued to see what other plants/veggies that would work with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

Ask a Question