Ground cover that grows well in shade?

Reaction score
I've seen the other thread about plants that grow well in the shade, but thought this might not be exactly the same thing. I have an area under a tree that only grows weeds at the moment, which I'm trying to replace with something (anything) else. Right now I'm trying blackberries and a raspberry because they're known to be quite persistent and spread a lot, but so far neither show signs of really expanding. If they fail to take over, what sort of ground cover that does well in the shade and can choke out a weed should I consider?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't think anything can choke out a weed, I think the best thing is to clear the area under the tree of all wild plants, put down wet newspaper and mulch and then landscape with cultivated plants. Just remember that dirt and seed get blown around and "weeds" can come back and spread if you're not mercenary about pulling them.

Reaction score
After it is established, frogfruit does well about choking out weeds. It takes about one season for it to get thick enough to block the sun from the weeds. Buy it online, most nurseries never heard of the thing. I'm not sure about it's shade tolerance, though.

The problem with planting under a tree is that the tree sucks up all the water available. That's why it is usually bare (except for weeds) under a tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just read something that suggested planting in raised beds under trees with a liner so that the moisture doesn't get sucked away by the trees. Maybe the best thing is to put down gravel under the trees and then use shade plants in containers. Then again castor iron plants seem to do well under trees so maybe what it takes is something hardy and/or drought tolerant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have seen Periwinkle growing in the shade, and even under trees, so it might work for what you want, and it is a thick growing ground cover, so it would probably keep the weeds out once it got a good start. You would need to clean the weeds out first, and then put in the Periwinkle, and let it fill up the spaces.

Reaction score
Periwinkle won't choke out weeds. I've got Periwinkle and Creeping Jenny growing in a thick mat close to the road, and I still have to weed it every couple of weeks, once the weeds grow tall enough that I can see them. But they both do make a good groundcover and will grow in the shade, and on lousy soil. Creeping Jenny has lovely foliage, and is an aggressive grower. But it is pretty easy to keep it contained, since it spreads by growing roots from each branch, and not by spreading underground.

Ask a Question