GMO Vs. Natural??

Reaction score
So who here can explain to me how I can tell if seeds are GMO or not? Does it say it on the packaging? I will admit I have grown most of what I have (except from some flowers) from an already rooted tree store bought. And now I worry what type of seeds were used after reading a few threads here on knowing where your seeds come from.

So is there an easy way to tell? Do they blatantly say it on seed packages? Or is it a guessing game- I know how the government likes to hide things under big scientific names no one knows what they are talking about half the time :(

Reaction score
You won't be able to tell by looking at the seeds. You probably won't be able to tell by looking at the plants or the fruit, flowers, or vegetables that they produce. Where I live there are no regulations in place for labeling these strains, but it may be different elsewhere. Talk to the experts at your garden centers as they may be able to tell you about labeling or at least point you in the right direction.

Reaction score
from http://responsibletechnology.org/buy-non-gmo/non-gmo-seed

"Currently commercialized GM crops in the U.S. include soy (94%), cotton (90%), canola (90%), sugar beets (95%), corn (88%), Hawaiian papaya (more than 50%), zucchini and yellow squash (over 24,000 acres). (Number in parentheses represents the estimated percent that is genetically modified.) Blue corn cross-pollinates with current GM corn varieties. And now, with the sugar beet growers going GM, there is the possibility of cross-pollination into other beet varieties and near relatives, such as chard. All but soy cross-pollinates."

Responsibletechnology.org is the best site I have found for information on GMO's.

Sugar from cane, not beet, is safe, but they are working on GMO sugar cane (and who knows what else)

Blue corn has previously been listed as safe, but as there is cross pollination with GMO corn, it is no longer safe, and soon there may be no corn that is safe. There has to be an area at least 6 miles from any GMO corn to be sure it is GMO free now, since this is the distance bees normally travel. As GMO corn crosses with non GMO corn that is too close, it will put more non GMO corn at risk. Soon there will be no corn that is truly GMO free for anything unless they are growing it in a contained environment.

Any plant listed as being grown with GMO has to be heirloom seeds (or certified non GMO) to be safe.

Also, when buying things in the store, be aware of anything made with those products. IE canola oil, corn flour, corn meal, corn starch, soy isolates, etc.

Keep in mind that beef, chicken, fish (farm grown) eggs, Milk, cheese, etc come from living things that are fed corn, so unless it states that it is certified non GMO it's best to assume that they are contaminated.

Wheat is not listed, but they HAVE found, is GMO wheat in fields. Monsanto denies having altered wheat but I now grow my own wheat and also buy organic/certified non GMO.

Pay no attention to the word "natural" on things. Pure poison can be listed as 'natural'. It means nothing as far as safety. Certified organic and certified non GMO are what to look for when shopping for anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
If the seed packet says "heirloom", then you know that it is not genetically modified. If it is a hybrid, then it might or might not be , but i don't think that they list it on the packet.
I have bought some seeds on ebay, from people who have saved the seeds from their garden, and when you buy seeds from a person this way, you should be pretty safe that they are not GMO seeds.

Reaction score
The best way to avoid the problem is to only buy your seeds from companies that state that their seeds are not genetically modified. It may cost you a bit more but its worth it for you in the long run.

Reaction score
Most seed companies have been bought out by Monsanto. While the seeds they sell there might say "certified non GMO" and they will be because a third party is watching over them, the profits of all seeds bought there still go to Monsanto.

I take that as further proof that Monsanto wants to have complete control of our food source.

Here is a link that lists the ones they own. There also is a list of companies not owned by Monsanto but it is far from complete.

http://planet.infowars.com/uncategorized/seed-companies-owned-by-monsanto

My favorite seed co. is seedsnow.com and they aren't on either list but I'm dang sure Monsanto doesn't own them. Their entire operation goes against everything Monsanto stands for and I can find no connection.

Seedsnow will not even sell heirloom non GMO corn seed now because they say they can't guarantee that the seeds haven't been cross pollinated with GMO corn.

Reaction score
Here's a question for you regarding GMO and/or non-GMO. When I was young, I used to love sprouting avocado pits and planting them in our garden. Recently, as an adult, I've tried to sprout them again but to no avail! Does anyone know if they've developed hybrids that eliminate the ability to sprout the pits?

Reaction score
Avocados aren't on any GMO list that I can find, but they could be hybrids. Many hybrids will not reproduce, and those that do usually revert back to one of the parents.

Also, many seeds are treated so they don't reproduce viable seeds even if they are not GMO. Anything you want to save the seeds from should be Heriloom.

Having said that, they are constantly trying to destroy one new crop after the other. If you can grow avocados where you live (I'm jealous) I suggest you get an heirloom avocado tree to plant. I think by the time foods that are GMO make the list, they've already been on the market for awhile before it is discovered to be GMO.

Which is when I can I grow everything I can that we eat.

Reaction score
Meowmie, thanks for your valuable input. It's very distressing that it is getting more difficult to grow our own vegetables without going through the "proper channels". I'm going to try looking for an heirloom avocado tree; thank you for the suggestion!

Ask a Question