GMO Free Seeds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are your thoughts on GMO's? Does anyone have a good recommendation on where to get GMO free seeds? Especially corn and zucchini seeds because they are some of the top genetically modified in this day and age, which sucks because I love to eat both a lot! I am really starting to getting big into going organic and want to cut GMO's from my life. Does anyone grow GMO free plants and have you found them in any way different than growing "normal" seeds? Do you harvest seeds from your plants for the next year?

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on GMO's? Does anyone have a good recommendation on where to get GMO free seeds? Especially corn and zucchini seeds because they are some of the top genetically modified in this day and age, which sucks because I love to eat both a lot! I am really starting to getting big into going organic and want to cut GMO's from my life. Does anyone grow GMO free plants and have you found them in any way different than growing "normal" seeds? Do you harvest seeds from your plants for the next year?

Hi and welcome to Gardening Forums

Unless you are planning to grow commercially you can buy GMO free seeds from almost anywhere - for the simple reason that - GMO seeds are NOT available or allowed to be sold to the home gardener / general public - due to the fact that GMO seeds are patented and therefore because they are protected by law - GMO seeds are only allowed to sold to commercial growers who have signed an agreement to abide by the laws protecting those seeds.

I would however just add that - although you will see that a lot of seed companies do state that they only supply NON-GMO seeds - there is absolutely no legal requirement for them to do that - they are in fact only choosing to do so - purely as a means to ease any possible concerns home gardeners may have :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I was totally misinformed! For some reason I had it in my head that all seeds available to the general public were GMO's! It is a relief to know they are not! Now I don't have to worry over it anymore and I can just go buy the seeds I want to buy! :D Coming from both a business and environmental stand point I think it is very smart of some seed companies to make sure the public knows their seeds are safe. Especially with all the research and light that has been shed on GMO's over the last few years! I personally don't understand why any farmers would want to continue using those seeds but, being from Indiana, I assume it has to with money in the end. Which is so sad!

Reaction score

I'm actually worried about the GMO corn, sadly the corn we use in my country to produce a lot stuff is said to be most of the time GMO. If I could I'd cut GMO from my life as well. Sadly I don't think we can unless we start buying everything organic, I've heard heirloom seeds are a good option, you can find them online :) I don't see myself planting corn anytime soon tho :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
GMO's are rough on corn. You can have non GMO corn and someone else nearby GMO corn and it really screws things up. In food too. Some corn products have GMO corn in there. In Europe they really raised a stink about it and now everything's labeled. Here in the US it's business as usual. Money under the table and one company in particular that's really cramming GMO's down peoples throats. That's one of the reasons why you don't see as many corn varieties in catalogs. (non GMO varieties) Corn is just one crop. There are other crops that are being manipulated. (a jeopardy word) Some things shouldn't be messed with. Food is probably one of them. I've used my monthly quota of words in one post.

Ask a Question