From a hill to a Hobbit house

Reaction score
Country
United States
The back of my yard is a hill so I decided to put it to good use. Here is a small Hobbit house that I made by carving out the hill. It isn't really a house but is made to look like one.

Attachments

• hobbit house2.JPG
    hobbit house2.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 354
Reaction score
Country
Kenya
That is so cute. I would sit in the yard, dreaming up tales about going down a rabbit hole if I had one like that. That is genius of you, how long did it take to make it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That is excellent, I love it! I take it you are a LOTR fan then?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is so cute! If the door and windows are in working orders, I bet you children will find this little Hobbit House amazing!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is so cute. I would sit in the yard, dreaming up tales about going down a rabbit hole if I had one like that. That is genius of you, how long did it take to make it?
Thanks I think it took about 4 days. Here is a link to my Youtube channel showing how it was made

And yes I'm a LOTR fan that is where I got the idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks I think it took about 4 days. Here is a link to my Youtube channel showing how it was made

And yes I'm a LOTR fan that is where I got the idea.

That's excellent, thanks for sharing it with us :) How did you do the stone work, are they set in place with mortar? Couldn't tell from the video. Your gnome is a lucky little guy! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I absolutely love it, it's one of the cutest things I've ever seen:D You did a great job, Mgmine. Your garden sounds like a wonderful place!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's excellent, thanks for sharing it with us :) How did you do the stone work, are they set in place with mortar? Couldn't tell from the video. Your gnome is a lucky little guy! :D
Yes I used mortar but if I were to do it again I would use thin set. The mortar didn't stick in a few spots so I had to replace a few stones this spring. I used the thin set and it seems to be sticking much better. When it was dry I filled in the spaces around the stones with mortar just like you would do with brick. The gnome is very happy. He is almost 3 feet tall made out of cast iron and has a frog in his hand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Wow! Very cute and really well done! Definitely a good use of a little hillside like that :D Very creative and interesting to see your video of how it was made.

Ask a Question