Egg plant fruit turning yellow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b
Hi to all ,hope all fine , my 1st post here , i used to come on gardenpond forum .... im wondering whats wrong with my eggplant fruit ? They r turning yellow , is it bcz of yellow variety ? Or any other reason . They were shade purple too but were unripe .Plant looks healthy .

They are 1st fruits yet , temp at day time is around 22 , night 8C . River soil plus compost .

Attachments

• 20180205_151942.jpg
    20180205_151942.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 1,674
  • 20180205_151921.jpg
    20180205_151921.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 411
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi to all ,hope all fine , my 1st post here , i used to come on gardenpond forum .... im wondering whats wrong with my eggplant fruit ? They r turning yellow , is it bcz of yellow variety ? Or any other reason . They were shade purple too but were unripe .Plant looks healthy .

They are 1st fruits yet , temp at day time is around 22 , night 8C . River soil plus compost .
Could you take a picture of the tip or blossom end.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have googled whilst Chuck is helping you:

Yellow Eggplant Fruit

Most people think of large, waxy, purple fruits when eggplant comes to mind. Although many eggplants are purple, not every variety produces this iconic fruit color. Eggplant fruits can range in color from pale green to a deep purple that looks black, including many that appear in shades of yellow, or even white. If you’ve never grown a specific variety before, yellow could simply be the color of the fruit on your plant. Light-colored eggplants are prone to yellowing when they’re approaching an over-ripe state. If this color is appearing on your larger eggplants, but sparing the smaller ones, try harvesting the fruits earlier. Another common cause of yellowing of eggplants is sunburn, which happens when leaves are damaged or removed, exposing the skin of tender, young fruits to excessive ultraviolet radiation. This damage may appear as cream to tan spots, or might cover the entire exposed surface of the fruit. ...

Read more at Gardening Know How: Eggplant Turning Yellow: What To Do For An Eggplant With Yellow Leaves Or Fruit

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/eggplant/eggplants-turning-yellow.htm

Also here https://www.ehow.com/facts_6330591_fruit-eggplant-turning-yellow_.html

Some say it's their mature colour!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b
I have googled whilst Chuck is helping you:

Yellow Eggplant Fruit

Most people think of large, waxy, purple fruits when eggplant comes to mind. Although many eggplants are purple, not every variety produces this iconic fruit color. Eggplant fruits can range in color from pale green to a deep purple that looks black, including many that appear in shades of yellow, or even white. If you’ve never grown a specific variety before, yellow could simply be the color of the fruit on your plant. Light-colored eggplants are prone to yellowing when they’re approaching an over-ripe state. If this color is appearing on your larger eggplants, but sparing the smaller ones, try harvesting the fruits earlier. Another common cause of yellowing of eggplants is sunburn, which happens when leaves are damaged or removed, exposing the skin of tender, young fruits to excessive ultraviolet radiation. This damage may appear as cream to tan spots, or might cover the entire exposed surface of the fruit. ...

Read more at Gardening Know How: Eggplant Turning Yellow: What To Do For An Eggplant With Yellow Leaves Or Fruit

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/eggplant/eggplants-turning-yellow.htm

Also here https://www.ehow.com/facts_6330591_fruit-eggplant-turning-yellow_.html

Some say it's their mature colour!
Thnx alpo very helpful , its mystery lets see whats thr cause , they look normal to me , i was thinking if its due to over ripe fruit it should turn shade brown instead of yellow ? and if its sunburn it would have some streaking? Some one who have experienced this can tell . Ihv harvested , lets see next fruit how it will be .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The reason I wanted to see the end of the eggplant was to make sure there wasn't blossom end rot or caterpillar damage, both of which can lead to yellowing. There isn't any damage or sign of blossom end rot or caterpillars. What you have is a yellow variety of eggplant such as the on following link.
http://www.organicseed.co.za/eggplant-brinjal/24-yellow-finger-eggplant.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Depending on the variety, the leaves don’t look quite as big as they should be. They could be greener too. There may be some NPK or magnesium deficiency. The variety may be yellow too.

Ask a Question