Dragon fruit cactus trellising ideas. Help needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I need some help figuring out how I'm going to trellis my dragon fruit cactus. The main things I need in a design is inexpensive. I don't want to spend hundreds on dollars just for an item is something much cheaper can work just fine. I'm not really that good with wood shop, so something not too complex will work very well for me. I also want something not too tall so pollinating and harvesting won't be a pain.

Here are some designs I found on google.

How do they do that? I really like that tree look to it. I know the use some think wooden pole for the base, but what do they use for the top to make it branch out? How does it have that support?

If you have any detailed instructions or and plans, that would be wonderful!

Also, I forgot to mention my dragon fruit will be in a container. So plans must be container-friendly. :)

Edit: Also, I have 2 dragon fruit plants. Will each plant need their own container, or can they share? I often see 2 dragon fruit plants in one trellis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First of all those are medium old trees. A LOT older than yours. All you need do is get 3 wooden sticks, place them equidistant from each other and make a semi-teepee and tie the plant loosely with some kind of strong string. You can then adjust as needed. Not a big deal at all. In a few years time you can then put bigger sticks around the plant to make it grow tall and straight but this time closer to the root ball.

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
a died tree trunk is your best, i have seen many people do it, if not any living tree that gives you no fruit just put the dragon tree under it and keep on attaching it to the trunk when it makes new growth

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For quick, easy, and fairly cheap, you could always just use a tomato cage. You should be able to find one for less than $5. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
How fascinating. I recently tried my first Dragon Fruit, the one with the red flesh, in Malaysia when i visited my son and loved it. It is a beautiful colour with the pattern of seeds inside. I found it a very exciting experience, perhaps I should get out more. I managed to purchase one with the with white flesh here in Melbourne and was quite thrilled however tne red is more spectacular.
Good luck CrazyConure. I'd love one myself but I dont think it would be warm enough where i am.

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good luck CrazyConure. I'd love one myself but I dont think it would be warm enough where i am.
You are both in zone 10, I'm sure it'd be warm enough! (y)

Quick google search found this:
Called Red Dragon fruit because of the intensely red edible flesh. Needs a mate to pollinate. We suggest the White Dragon Fruit. The plant is tropical, can be used as a house plant. Needs support because its vine like in habit. Blooms large white flowers at night like its relative the night blooming cereus, a popular house plant. Space outside 8'-10' apart depending on what it grows on. Zones 9 - 10.
http://ediblelandscaping.com/products/cactus/Cactus/DragonFruitRed.php

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Here's an update on my dragon fruits:
IMG_2018.JPG

It's getting there. They seem to be going through a growth spurt currently. I hope to actually get some dragon fruit babies this or next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
You can order it yourself too! These are the red fleshed variety. I bought them from this awesome seller on amazon. I ordered 2 and she sent 2 more extra, for free! They rooted very easily.

I have 5 separate plants in this container. The reason I have an extra one is because the largest cactus and getting cracked from previous bad support, so I broke it off and made an entirely new plant from it!

What happened to the original one you may ask? It grew a second main stem branch from the original! I basically have 7 different cactie from only supposed to be getting 2. Crazy, huh?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can order it yourself too! These are the red fleshed variety. I bought them from this awesome seller on amazon. I ordered 2 and she sent 2 more extra, for free! They rooted very easily.

I have 5 separate plants in this container. The reason I have an extra one is because the largest cactus and getting cracked from previous bad support, so I broke it off and made an entirely new plant from it!

What happened to the original one you may ask? It grew a second main stem branch from the original! I basically have 7 different cactie from only supposed to be getting 2. Crazy, huh?
Dragonfruit would take one look at my Zone and promptly DIE!

Ask a Question