Dead head

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure if the name of this flower but does anyone know if I should dead head or leave alone?
IMG_20230613_150501415_PORTRAIT.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That looks like the herb Chives. Cut a stem and crush it, it should smell like onion. Yes, I would dead head.
They do look like chives but they are perennial flower. I got 3 different colors. I mistakenly threw the tag with name out.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That looks like the herb Chives. Cut a stem and crush it, it should smell like onion. Yes, I would dead head.
That was my thought also. The leaves on the bottom threw me off but I think it's just grass growing in with the chives. I would cut them off put the fresh ones in a salad, yummy and looks appealing to the eye. Chives can have purple, white, pink or red blossoms.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly a thrift ? They come in various colours. Dead heading doesn't only encourage new flowers, it stops seeds developing. I have left chives and had chives springing from every crack in the pavement.
Note, I don't think it is a chive, but if you grow chives as a herb to use in the kitchen take off all flowers, they lose a lot of their flavour when they flower.

Ask a Question