Crafting from the garden

Reaction score
In another thread Maringardener posted about gourds grown for decoration, or use as a tool. These are great for selling at farmer's markets, craft fairs, etc.

Also growing loofa sponges can be lucrative for sale (and using) at the same places. My In-Laws used to grow them to give to everyone, we all loved using them.

Does anyone know of other plants that can be grown that can be used for arts & crafts or things other than food?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I was a kid my mom grew ornamental pumpkins that she sold around Thanksgiving. She also grew gourds and Indian corn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know that many people use dried flower petals to make decorations. It can look really nice! I have a dried poppy in my room. It's the first flower that I received from my boyfriend:love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Grape vines can be formed into wreaths. Just take a piece of plywood, make a circle 2" smaller than you want the wreath to be, and pound in nails about 3" apart around the circle. Then take a freshly cut grape vine and weave it in and out of the nails. You can take lengths of hemp garden twine to tie the weavings together in three or four places, and then remove it from the nails by lifting gently. Let the vines dry, remove the twine, and decorate with autumn leaves, berries, what have you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Branches from trees and shrubs are often dried and painted and used in a variety of decorations as are all manner of flowers. Almost any plant matter can be used for something, such as corn husks being turned into dolls, maple leaves worked into roses (those are really cool)... pine needles into baskets, etc.

Reaction score
I know a lady who uses both dry flowers, cones and even tree branches for her decorations :) She is a great manual artist in my opinion, she has made some really impressive decorations. Looking forward to have the time to attempt something like that in the future!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Another really cool idea is to turn a tree stump into a fairy house:D After all, most fairies want to have their own place.
This house looks especially nice, I like it very much:

da36b64b15bbd44e6cb8612eadbedbf5.jpg

Reaction score
Does anyone know of other plants that can be grown that can be used for arts & crafts or things other than food?

Although I can think of quite a few - Bamboo is the first that immediately springs to mind - especially as the list of things that can be made from bamboo are so numerous - the possibilities are virtually endless.

Another one is the grass like plant " Coix Lacryma Jobi " or " Jobs Tears "

Bead Grass - Jobs Tears - Coix lacryma jobi.jpg

Bead Grass - Coix_lacryma-jobi.JPG

which as this plant bears beads with a naturally shiny coating - as well as a natural hole in the center

Bead Grass - Beads.jpg

is an excellent choice for many things - but especially for making any kind of jewellery - necklaces, earrings, bracelets etc.

Which as the beads can also be dyed to any color you wish - it might also be worth considering growing some of the plants that are grown for their natural dyes - for example - onions, beets, red cabbage. marigolds, black walnuts, spinach, roses, camellias, lavender, blueberries, grapes, hibiscus and many more - all of which can be used to make dyes to color fabrics, pots, beads etc :)

Ask a Question