County Cooperative Extension Office

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've mentioned this in a few posts, and a lot of people don't seem to have heard about their County Extension Office. If you live in the US, most states have agricultural extension offices, usually run through your state ag college, but managed on a county level. The purpose of the extension office is to provide expertise and feedback on all areas of agriculture - not just to big farms, but to local homeowners and gardeners too.

I've only used ones in Virginia and Maryland, so I can't say for all of them. But the ones I've used have been extremely helpful. Each time I've called, they have sent someone out to my place and they spent a few hours with me, answering every question I had. One time we were getting into beekeeping, another time we wanted to raise chickens. He was very knowledgeable in both of these areas. Another time, we had horses, and I had heard that black cherry tree leaves are poisonous for horses, he confirmed that (it's actually only the dead leaves) and he walked our entire 5 acres looking for cherry trees and making suggest on how to improve our fields for grazing.

Another time, the agent came out and suggested ways that we could make money on a small farm - we had about 5 acres then. He suggested blackberries and raspberries as a great option, since they don't take up a lot of space, and they sell for a good price. He even gave us a list of local businesses that might be interested in buying them!

If you want more information, here's a link that might point you in the right direction. Or you should be able to visit your county courthouse and they can give you the contact information. Hope this helps everyone!

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've mentioned this in a few posts, and a lot of people don't seem to have heard about their County Extension Office. If you live in the US, most states have agricultural extension offices, usually run through your state ag college, but managed on a county level. The purpose of the extension office is to provide expertise and feedback on all areas of agriculture - not just to big farms, but to local homeowners and gardeners too.

I've only used ones in Virginia and Maryland, so I can't say for all of them. But the ones I've used have been extremely helpful. Each time I've called, they have sent someone out to my place and they spent a few hours with me, answering every question I had. One time we were getting into beekeeping, another time we wanted to raise chickens. He was very knowledgeable in both of these areas. Another time, we had horses, and I had heard that black cherry tree leaves are poisonous for horses, he confirmed that (it's actually only the dead leaves) and he walked our entire 5 acres looking for cherry trees and making suggest on how to improve our fields for grazing.

Another time, the agent came out and suggested ways that we could make money on a small farm - we had about 5 acres then. He suggested blackberries and raspberries as a great option, since they don't take up a lot of space, and they sell for a good price. He even gave us a list of local businesses that might be interested in buying them!

If you want more information, here's a link that might point you in the right direction. Or you should be able to visit your county courthouse and they can give you the contact information. Hope this helps everyone!

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/
We have the County Extension and a State Extension Service but they both only have one remedy for any agricultural problem........Chemicals

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Chuck, more and more, and for the worse - that answer is the one, and often only answer. We have been lucky living in MD and VA, that the rules and regs for Chesapeake bay reasons tend to be more organic and practical, perhaps a bit more labor, but more old school practices. In other parts of the country you actually have to attend classes and get certified to mix, spray and use most of the chemicals beyond sevin dust and the other powders.

We did have one case in northern VA, where our decent pond was destroyed by "geese" manure and what they call coon tale that then grows in the pond, just beneath the surface until it is mature and then beaks the surface. The ONLY solution was a chemical (about $300 per 40 pounds) that you eradicated spots around the pond, as you can easily destroy the whole living pond system by doing to much at one time. There are laws on the books that you can not control the "bird", so your only option is to try and keep the pond/lake going.

Same pond we would get a beaver on it, and you talk about destroying things. That sucker mowed down every thing in site with in a week, till he was trapped. The nearest wading depth water is likely over 2 or 3 miles, yet the destroyer is often protected by law.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
County extension agents are a great resource, but it depends on the help you need. We have a good agent--but he is a cattle man. For our little farm sans cows, his knowledge and advice is of limited use to us.
Some counties in the USA don't have an agent. The best resource for these areas is the state agricultural college. Even then, the answer to your question may depend on who is manning the telephones or e-mails that day, and that person's level of expertise.
I've found that good gardening books, especially ones specific to your area, and of course the internet and web pages such as this one, give better, quicker, and more reliable information and advice. That's why so many of my gardening books have muddy fingerprints on the pages and why I spend so much time on this forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am not sure if I have any agent or County Extension office around where I live, I will have to check it out. The concept sounds neat and it would be a good resource for any questions I might have about my local area. I do know that my dad went to some sort of agricultural office a couple of years ago as they were giving out free evergreen tree sapplings. It was a program to get people to plant more trees and so they were giving them away. I will have to ask him about it.

Ask a Question