Clover and weed ridden, bumpy grass

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There's clover all over our lawn, I've read somewhere that you just need to fertilize your lawn to get rid of clover...but does that really work?

The lawn is also bumpy...like if you walk barefoot on the grass, it almost feels as if there's gravel in it. Is there a way to smooth this out without starting over?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love clover...at a previous house I had a clover lawn. I have lots of clover in my present lawn (mind you I'm not one for perfect manicured lawns or using herbicides, so your mileage may vary.) Google clover lawns...some people prefer them. And bonus, in between mowing when it flowers, you're providing habitat for pollinators, whithout which none of us would have anything growing.

Bumpy lawns may be moles or gophers. You can rent a lawn roller to flatten it down for about $20 per day.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381743_200381743

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
The only reason why lawns need to be clear of any weeds including clover is because these weeds die but there is a variety of clover that is perennial and does add beauty to a lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Actually the guy who mows my lawn has been taking bags of my lawn clippings home to spread on his lawn, hoping to reseed the clover. He says mine is so much greener than his because of the clover. :)
I guess my lawn is full of "weeds" (clover and wood violets mainly) but I do keep it mowed and it is really quite lush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lawn has the same problem as yours! These past two months, the lawn care man does regular mowing, so I don't see too many clovers growing anymore. I can't use chemical since we have animal, so the regular cutting seemed to do the trick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have had far fewer weeds in the past 12 years because we don't use a lawn guy. Just think of what that mower is bringing from someone else's lawn.

good if you have the same idea of a nice lawn but...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First of all is it clover or oxalis? Oxalis is a noxious weed in most places although, believe it or not, it is actually grown and sold as a lawn covering in parts of Calif. Clover on the other hand is hugely beneficial as it is a legume and is a great nitrogen builder in the soil and makes a gorgeous lawn. Oxalis is very difficult to get rid of. The safest way is to mow often and to encourage the growth of grass as it will eventually choke out the oxalis. Mowing often, not letting the plants go to seed and mowing low will eventually get rid of both or you can go the not so healthy chemical route

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I were to guess as to why you lawn feels bumpy and uneven and has weeds I would say that the soil is compacted and lacking in organic material. There is a simple way to remedy this. Go to a rental place and rent a lawn aerator, the type that pulls up little tiny plugs of soil. After running this over the lawn spread organic fertilizer at the recommended rate. After you do this spread 1/4"-1/2" compost. I don't know what type of grass you have but this is the time to re-seed/over seed if needed. Then with a hose end sprayer water in the entire fertilized composted lawn with molasses at the rate of 2 oz per gallon. What grass you have will come back and grow very rapidly. It will probably even choke out the oxalis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
With a clover lawn you don't have to water as much or spend money on weed killer or fertilizer, it will stay green even when it get really hot and dry out.

my back lawn

Back yard 2 010.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I were to guess as to why you lawn feels bumpy and uneven and has weeds I would say that the soil is compacted and lacking in organic material. There is a simple way to remedy this. Go to a rental place and rent a lawn aerator, the type that pulls up little tiny plugs of soil. After running this over the lawn spread organic fertilizer at the recommended rate. After you do this spread 1/4"-1/2" compost. I don't know what type of grass you have but this is the time to re-seed/over seed if needed. Then with a hose end sprayer water in the entire fertilized composted lawn with molasses at the rate of 2 oz per gallon. What grass you have will come back and grow very rapidly. It will probably even choke out the oxalis

I don't know what kind of grass I have either...I will have to give this a try. You say that this is the time to re-seed? It's really dry here and my grass is already dying cuz I can't keep up with watering. Is that ok?

Molasses? We are so curious what the molasses does, do share!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know what kind of grass I have either...I will have to give this a try. You say that this is the time to re-seed? It's really dry here and my grass is already dying cuz I can't keep up with watering. Is that ok?

Molasses? We are so curious what the molasses does, do share!
Lawn grasses are warm weather plants and the seeds sprout only when it is warm and/or hot. Just take a good sample of your grass to a real nursery and they can tell you what it is and more than likely have the seeds too. Unless it is a Saint Augustine type of grass which is only available as sod. When you reseed you MUST keep the seeds and the ground moist, if you don't you are wasting time and money.
Go to the Organic Gardening forum on this site and read the thread Molasses The Wonder Drug. If you have anymore questions about it just ask

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
With a clover lawn you don't have to water as much or spend money on weed killer or fertilizer, it will stay green even when it get really hot and dry out.

my back lawn

View attachment 7568
What a lovely lush lawn Fernsdaddy!(y)
Mine does dry out in summer so it obviously isn't clover. There certainly is oxalis in my lawn but also lots of other weeds....little white flowers, bigger yellow flowers, little reddie/pinkie flowers. I do try with my "weed digger upperer" but hard to get on top if it. I've gone over it a few times with weed and feed but no great progress really. Never mind, it keeps me busy and outside. Plus I have lots of lawn and I'm "the only gardener in the village" :LOL: so I really don't have any hope of it having that neat manicured look. My husband mowes on the ride on and does the odd bit of chain sawering but that is it. I don't mind though, I love saying it's all my work!:):)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What a lovely lush lawn Fernsdaddy!(y)
Mine does dry out in summer so it obviously isn't clover. There certainly is oxalis in my lawn but also lots of other weeds....little white flowers, bigger yellow flowers, little reddie/pinkie flowers. I do try with my "weed digger upperer" but hard to get on top if it. I've gone over it a few times with weed and feed but no great progress really. Never mind, it keeps me busy and outside. Plus I have lots of lawn and I'm "the only gardener in the village" :LOL: so I really don't have any hope of it having that neat manicured look. My husband mowes on the ride on and does the odd bit of chain sawering but that is it. I don't mind though, I love saying it's all my work!:):)
Fertile and loose soil is the bane of weeds. They don't like it. Make your soil fertile and the oxalis and all of the other weeds will, in time, completely disappear with no manual labor at all except riding around on a mower. This will convince your husband that he did it all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

my back lawn

View attachment 7568

Looks just like my lawn @Fernsdaddy, I just trotted out and took this pic. Perfect with no broad leaf weeds? No, obviously. Green? Yes. Chemicals or fertilizer? No. Professional lawn company? No.
It was just mowed a few hours ago here. Oh, and large dogs run all over this and poop on it daily. :)
lawn.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looks just like my lawn @Fernsdaddy, I just trotted out and took this pic. Perfect with no broad leaf weeds? No, obviously. Green? Yes. Chemicals or fertilizer? No. Professional lawn company? No.
It was just mowed a few hours ago here. Oh, and large dogs run all over this and poop on it daily. :)
View attachment 7575

That is one nice green lawn and a lot to mow.

Ask a Question