Clover as a temporary lawn

Reaction score
We have one area in the yard that grass just will not survive in; it doesn't matter if we sow seed or place sod. Rather than have every form of weeds around here take over, I will plant clover. Clover affixes nitrogen into the soil and can be tilled under as green compost. I'll be careful not to let it go to seed and then try my luck with grass next year.

Has anyone ever tried this? Or have you cleared out an area of clover and then planted in that spot?

Reaction score
That sounds like a wonderful idea! A yard full of clover is way better than a yard full of weeds! I have never tried this myself, but a neighbor of mine did! It looked so beautiful, plus it seems clovers are so easy to take for. If you can try it.... then why not? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have a lot of clover growing in my garden, but I've never tried to get rid of it. I love this plant! In my opinion it looks very pretty, prettier than grass. To be honest, I didn't know that it affixes nitrogen into the soil. Thank you for sharing this information!:)

Ask a Question