Are there any pitfalls to doing a lawn in clover instead of grass?

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing my lawn with clover because I hear it uses less water, chokes out weeds better, requires less maintenance/ mowing and will stand up to kids/pets better. Is there a downside to using clover? If not, why aren't more people using it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm considering replacing my lawn with clover because I hear it uses less water, chokes out weeds better, requires less maintenance/ mowing and will stand up to kids/pets better. Is there a downside to using clover? If not, why aren't more people using it?
Where are you located?

Reaction score
Oh my, I've always wanted to have a lawn full of clover! Let me know if you manage to get that done, I'd love to see the pics of that! I love clovers! In my opinion they look waaay better than grass.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't let Sheep loose on it, clover makes their tummies explode :eek:

Reaction score
Oh my, I've always wanted to have a lawn full of clover! Let me know if you manage to get that done, I'd love to see the pics of that! I love clovers! In my opinion they look waaay better than grass.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. :) I planted some in a small section of my yard and it's holding up very well. I don't see the down side to doing up the whole yard, so I'll probably go for it soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I love having clover in my lawn ! I like walking barefoot in clover,too, and it is much softer than grass. Plus, it makes a great soil enricher when it is mowed. Speaking of mowing, that is about the only downside that i can see to the clover lawn. It grows very thick and heavy, so you have to keep it well-mowed, or it will be hard to mow if it gets too tall and thick. Other than that, I can't think of any problems with it, and it does spread easily, too.
It blooms all summer, so if it is not kept mowed, you will have the little white or purple blossoms all over your lawn; which is either good or bad, depending on how you feel about flowers all over in the lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know what kind of soil you have in AZ, alkaline or acidic, but here in Texas it is alkaline. Clover will grow just fine here, for 3 or 4 years and then cotton root rot kills it.

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. :) I planted some in a small section of my yard and it's holding up very well. I don't see the down side to doing up the whole yard, so I'll probably go for it soon.

Yaaaaay! Go for it! I'm sure your yard will look so beautiful and original... Wish there were more yards and lawns staring clovers instead of boring grass!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Is that true, or is it another urban legend like rice exploding pidgeons?

It's true if Thomas Hardy is to be believed, think its in the opening scene of "Far from the Madding Crowd" :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's true if Thomas Hardy is to be believed, think its in the opening scene of "Far from the Madding Crowd" :)
I am pretty sure it is true but only in the early mornings when there is a heavy dew. Same thing with horses eating Johnson grass that has frost on it.

Ask a Question