Climate change is here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't think monocultures and chemical farming feed the world if that's what you're implying.
All of Europe subsidize their farmers because tourism requires the landscape be kept looking productive. You will find that most of Asia and the tropical world is divided into acre plots worked by families and harvesting four crops a year. Although Australia has followed the US example, our farmers are moving into Regen. Ag. both to be financially viable and to keep the farm in good nick for their children.
I do worry about market gardening with their trend towards indoor gardening and hydroponics. Chefs are my big hope there because they are supporting 'niche market' growers.
Community gardens and farmers markets are growing in popularity. Everyone who tastes 'homegrown' becomes addicted to good old fashion 'Taste'.
The government is in the background and ethically motivated charities and individuals are servicing the poor.
Don't forget we throw out more than a third of the edible food we produce because of unnecessarily high 'appearance' standards. Don' forget the US uses most of its monoculture crops to produce biofuel, processed cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and feedlot supplies.
It's true we can grow so much more food than we do, because of idiotic policies, the growing for fuel is probably the dumbest of them all.

We don't need industrialized farming/ranching to feed the world. This is just propaganda to keep us addicted to big Ag and all the shit they sell. It's all about supporting Wall Street and Big Businesses.

We got some Regenerative Ag happening here as well and I think it's growing.

Here's just one example of a Regenerative Rancher in Georgia that got away from industrial ranching. We need way more of this(y)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Soylent green is people :cautious:
It's a 1973 film fantasy. Soylent green is about NY city in 2020 when it's a city of 20 million people. So far so good.
In this predicted city people eat the processed dead bodies of other people. WRONG.
Everyone is starving and sleeping on stairs. WRONG.
Have you been to NY city recently?
Is the film about people? - sure. It's about a semi-corrupt cop who robs the house of a murder victim to feed his old mate and give him books that are now a rare commodity. The Soylent Green mafia pressure his boss but our hero resists the pressure and discovers the secret of the flat green squares keeping the population enslaved. Um? These are fantasy people I'm afraid Tetters.
I enjoyed the film - but I enjoyed Lord of the Rings too.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Some younger folks will start growing their own food, others will demand the government give them food.

Where do you think the government will get the food?
Your answer is that they start eating the growers?
Any rate the bloke in Georgia is an inspiration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your answer is that they start eating the growers?
Any rate the bloke in Georgia is an inspiration.
Maybe eventually. But the government will take the food from the growers and give it to the demanders.

From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs. Not exactly a winning strategy. I suggest Atlas Shrugged, the book, the movies leave way too much out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D'you know, I'm awake enough to know this film I dug out was a fantasy - a story, written from an idea written in a book. George Orwell wrote another book called 1984 which was also turned into a film I understand. I'm not daft enough to realise that the stories were in fact, all fiction from somebody's brain.
What I noticed though, is that while these kind of stories are only fiction, they tell tales about things that strangely begin to mimic the kind of behaviour we are now actually starting to see. We cannot predict the future, but we can certainly see what the likely future could be. Just a load of silly coincidences - silly me. 🤐

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree Ruderunner, i think our uniparty use it as a manefesto.

I don't think for one minute that Tetters thought that Soylent Green was a documentary, but it should be heeded as a warning in general, not just comparing it to New York, which has tent cities full of homeless people like many other cities all over the planet.

The globalist's system is trying to remove farming from the likes of you and us, buying up farms and making it illegal for the farmers to start up anywhere else. Now that has echoes of the 1970 film where ordinary people are not allowed to leave the city and go to the countryside because it's all intensively farmed.

We've not got to $150 a jar strawberries yet but food is not getting any cheaper in the shops.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Did you wonder, like I did, how the author of Soylent Green could prophesy so accurately what appears to be happening on the globe at the moment? I think that the near future could be terrifying.
No - it is a fantasy - I would like to put your mind at rest. There's a lot of in-house jiving going on in this topic that makes no sense to me. So, if I chose to have a bit of fun when it's my turn - than I will.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There's quite a bit of things happening, at least in the US, that are very much described in some of these books. It's not shuck and jive.

Changing the definitions of words to fit the current storyline? Yes, Google has done that.

Pretending men can be women, gender is "assigned " at birth, peaceful protest can include burning buildings but an insurrection can be accomplished without weapons.

Doublethink is a thing.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
After the hottest summer on record, yesterday Perth had its heaviest rainfall in one day ever. Climate change is normal, and these events are expected to occur. When they do occur, everyone stands around wide-eyed in shock.
Adelaide is the closest capital city to Perth (only a couple of thousand kilometers away) so I think I will revise the drainage around my house. I see too many news reports of cars up to their windows in flooded streets.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, Tetters read out a news report yesterday about a cliff collapse. One that I know well where I used to live. Someone tried to blame it on climate change :rolleyes:

It's the top of an eroded anticline, the bit where the rock strata is folded so much that it's full of faults and just waiting to collapse.

It's like someone bending a bit of wire over and over again and then when it snaps, blaming it on the weather :cautious:

I see too many news reports of cars up to their windows in flooded streets.

There was a thumbnail on Youtube last week, obviously photoshopped, of cars being washed away by a raging sea while folk were walking alongside as if nothing was happening (in their picture there weren't 30 foot waves :rolleyes:)

I hit the report button and reported it as misleading, Youtube took it down straight away :cool:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Where the hell is moonraker...I kind of miss the old chap

:unsure:

Did the same as he did on my old gardening forum, came in like a seventh sense, told everyone how everything is done and then gets the hump when people disagree with him before buggering off :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's like someone bending a bit of wire over and over again and then when it snaps, blaming it on the weather :cautious:
Water is a precious commodity in Perth. You would think they could drain it off progressively, so it is stored in drainage ponds rather than accumulating and running in waves down the roads. Let's hope we learn from this.

Ask a Question