Climate change is here

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That said, just like EVS they can be used effectively in SOME circumstances.
Yes, the sort of circumstances the UK is in as an offshore island . The other one we don't exploit yet is tidal power, pretty reliable and predictable with an awful lot of coastline round us. We shouldn't simply be burning North Sea oil for a quick profit, we should be setting up the infrastructure that will literally make us a cheap and sustainable powerhouse and saving the oil for stuff like lubricants.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I can't understand the huge development in solar when wind is such a known and simple technology, especially over here on an off shore island. In Orkney most people have a small wind turbine that feeds into the grid and it produces so much the power line to the mainland can't handle it all, they could produce all the electricity the UK needs with a reasonably small investment. In my book a small turbine at the end of every garden would be far better than solar panels on every roof. No lithium for a start.

Having lived off grid for 3 years with both solar panels and a wind turbine, I wouldn't like to rely on the wind turbine. Even when it was blowing a hoolie it hardly charged the (lead acid) batteries. It sometimes made the difference between charging the laptop or not charging it when there hadn't been any sun for a few days but the solar panels beat it hands down. I had 3 panels that cost about £30 each which were great most of the time (except 3 weeks either side of the winter solstice when the sun was so low in the sky it hit every shadow before going in at 3 O'clock. The wind turbine cost about £400. I would have been better off getting a bike with a dynamo on it :rolleyes:

Now a small hydro electric turbine on every water supply that goes into a district/housing estate would be a different kettle of volts. The water supply is reasonably clean so there shouldn't be any problem with turbines clogging up. There's no net loss of pressure as the water would be going down hill from the reservoir to the consumer anyway. Once it was flowing you wouldn't notice the difference. Every time someone flushes the loo, turns the tap on or has a shower it could be producing electricity.

Reaction score
Country
Australia

Try this link. There is a slight delay at the beginning, so wait a few seconds!
I saw the film. Thanks.
It reminded me of when I went to a burger joint in a food mall and ordered an egg burger. I watched the young lady assemble it and when she added a flat white square I asked, 'What was that?' 'Thats the egg' she said.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw the film. Thanks.
It reminded me of when I went to a burger joint in a food mall and ordered an egg burger. I watched the young lady assemble it and when she added a flat white square I asked, 'What was that?' 'Thats the egg' she said.
Did you wonder, like I did, how the author of Soylent Green could prophesy so accurately what appears to be happening on the globe at the moment? I think that the near future could be terrifying.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Did you wonder, like I did, how the author of Soylent Green could prophesy so accurately what appears to be happening on the globe at the moment? I think that the near future could be terrifying.
It's a dystopia and there are lots of them predicting horrific futures. If that many people are sleeping on the stairs and street sweepers are used on protesters, then I would expect unstoppable riots.
It could happen and has happened before. Apparently, the protesters against Gadhafi could use their mobile phones to get air strikes by NATO.
I predict that more and more young people will grow their own food and breakdown the Big Pharma currently monopolizing the food chain and the sick care that is medicine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Some younger folks will start growing their own food, others will demand the government give them food.

Where do you think the government will get the food?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The majority of young people we try to talk to just don't want to listen. I believe the brain washing has gone on for too long. Everything is digital and traceable, and all of the western civilisation is under siege. Any kind of self transport is definitely under attack, and so is our cash.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Some younger folks will start growing their own food, others will demand the government give them food.

Where do you think the government will get the food?
I don't think monocultures and chemical farming feed the world if that's what you're implying.
All of Europe subsidize their farmers because tourism requires the landscape be kept looking productive. You will find that most of Asia and the tropical world is divided into acre plots worked by families and harvesting four crops a year. Although Australia has followed the US example, our farmers are moving into Regen. Ag. both to be financially viable and to keep the farm in good nick for their children.
I do worry about market gardening with their trend towards indoor gardening and hydroponics. Chefs are my big hope there because they are supporting 'niche market' growers.
Community gardens and farmers markets are growing in popularity. Everyone who tastes 'homegrown' becomes addicted to good old fashion 'Taste'.
The government is in the background and ethically motivated charities and individuals are servicing the poor.
Don't forget we throw out more than a third of the edible food we produce because of unnecessarily high 'appearance' standards. Don' forget the US uses most of its monoculture crops to produce biofuel, processed cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and feedlot supplies.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The majority of young people we try to talk to just don't want to listen. I believe the brain washing has gone on for too long. Everything is digital and traceable, and all of the western civilisation is under siege. Any kind of self transport is definitely under attack, and so is our cash.
We are 'old farts'. The young are finding it impossible to own a home, get a job or go on holiday. They blame us for leaving the world in such a mess. Meanwhile we are on a pension and have unexpectantly become the 'haves'. When the 'baby boomers' (that's us) have gone, everything will change again. I'm told the population will be in decline then.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not 'til September, still a youngster. Never understood 'impossible', there I was, not just possible, but extant. I also remember 'perfect' girls, not the sort I mixed with :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Redback, my post isn't that cryptic. Of the 3 parties mentioned, only 1 can produce.

2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner.
Soylent green is people :cautious:

@Oliver Buckle ....Oh no, not another b*** virgo. My father and Zigs too -they share the same birthday on September 11th 🤕

Ask a Question