Clay?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried little at a time finally said the heck with. All at once.

I tried using the mower it messed it up because there is so many.

My neighbor wants me to cut all my Trees. That is one reason I bought this place is Trees.

I let him cut one of my Trees then see the old hot sun shining down on his house.

People are interesting. Someone bought a Blueberry Farm by us then dozed all the Blueberries. Like my son said if they wanted an open field why didn't they buy one?

Back when I was younger would burn for better pasture.

Now it really makes sense but the Government says no. It is custom to burn the Timber off so Deer will have more to eat.

My Farmhouse use to be on a Ridge. One night literally had thousands of acres burning around us.

It was Good for the Deer but hard on the trees. Government decided Clearcut strips of Timber is better.

Yea right then it grows up so thick you can't see through much less hunt. Light a fire and go.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Too little too late.

Thinking of getting Mulching Blades for my Mower.

Also Thinking of buying a Catcher.

With Mulching Blades will it still blow back into the Catcher?

Thinking of filling my Bins if leaves get too heavy.

Game plan mulch some Leaves, I have like a Disk but it is straight spiked Blades to cut the soil.

Thinking on my Garden to plant some Winter Wheat, later put some Leaves in, Wood Ash and spade it all in.

And talk about Grain along I-44 first off they have had some rain this is one reason we are not considered in a Drought.

As far as Farmers rotating their crops. Yea right ! I Farmed for many years and I was a Seedsman. You try telling a Farmer how to make things better he will tell you takes too much time.

I know of one place in particular. Guy would plant Winter Wheat immediately followed by Soybeans every year.

Friends with a Famer now. He has very little Hay, his ponds are drying up and his Well is going dry.

big rockpile

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The row of reseeding peas that I showed you I've named "big rockpile" and it is coming along nicely.

The peas are thick and up about 8-9 inches high on the second generation. It won't be too long until I start the THIRD cycle which will probably be the last for this year because I need that row for my fall/winter crops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Too little too late.

Thinking of getting Mulching Blades for my Mower.

Also Thinking of buying a Catcher.

With Mulching Blades will it still blow back into the Catcher?

Thinking of filling my Bins if leaves get too heavy.

Game plan mulch some Leaves, I have like a Disk but it is straight spiked Blades to cut the soil.

Thinking on my Garden to plant some Winter Wheat, later put some Leaves in, Wood Ash and spade it all in.

And talk about Grain along I-44 first off they have had some rain this is one reason we are not considered in a Drought.

As far as Farmers rotating their crops. Yea right ! I Farmed for many years and I was a Seedsman. You try telling a Farmer how to make things better he will tell you takes too much time.

I know of one place in particular. Guy would plant Winter Wheat immediately followed by Soybeans every year.

Friends with a Famer now. He has very little Hay, his ponds are drying up and his Well is going dry.

big rockpile
The point of mulching blades is to chop the grass that you cut and scatter it over the lawn. So your grass guttings provide a water retaining mulch for your lawn. They also break down and feed the soil life thus improving the soil. Especailly if you have weeds and clover in your lawn!

I usually don't use a catcher. I mulch most of the time, but sometimes use the catcher to provide grass clippings for the compost heap.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The point of mulching blades is to chop the grass that you cut and scatter it over the lawn. So your grass guttings provide a water retaining mulch for your lawn. They also break down and feed the soil life thus improving the soil. Especailly if you have weeds and clover in your lawn!

I usually don't use a catcher. I mulch most of the time, but sometimes use the catcher to provide grass clippings for the compost heap.
Well I no longer have grass. I hopping to use them on leaves but if they are real heavy want to put some in Compost Bins and Garden.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well I no longer have grass. I hopping to use them on leaves but if they are real heavy want to put some in Compost Bins and Garden.

big rockpile
Oh sorry - I misunderstood. I did think it a bit of a strange question LOL

We used to use our lawn mower (without mulcher) to chop up all our green stuff for the compost heap. We'd just lay it out on the lawn then run the lawn mower over it. We didn't have the mulcher attachment on to do this. It is a bit of a lossy process though as a lot of your green stuff ends up mulching your lawn.

I think with most lawn mowers you can't mulch and collect at the same time. Certainly with ours the mulcher thows the clippings out to the side.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found some spray that is to help but you want to put it on before a rain. I guess I could water my Lawn.

We finished my Compost Bins and so far put some old Potting Soil in and cuttings. Needing to clean my Chicken House out.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great we live next to a State Park. They have one of the biggest springs in the state.

They used State Taxpayer dollars to drill two Wells. In two months they went dry, so now they are using off the same County Well we are.

My wife said that it does no good to worry because there is nothing I can do. I know she is right but when I see a big Train Wreck I'm very excited.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh gets better Mennonites paid for a Tractor Trailer of Hay coming from Colorado.

It got into Kansas they was told that they would pay 3X what the Mennonites paid so the Hay was unloaded in Kansas.

Like I told my wife it won't be long because the leaves on the trees are dying and falling off.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the problem is, he's talking about his lawn.

I have quite big lawns and have always used the grass clippings to create compost for the flower/veg beds or used it for mulching the flower/veg beds. This is all well and good, but ultimtely each time you cut the grass and remove the cuttings elsewhere you're depleting nutrients in your soil where the lawn is.

If you leave the grass clippings on the lawn you'll retain minerals etc in the soil, but it doesn't actually do much to make your clay soil more drought tollerant.

So, if you have a lawn and want to maintain (or improve) the soil under that lawn - AND if you have veg and flower beds that you need compost for - then you need to bring something in.

Adding things like clover and wild flower to lawns will help. I'm thinking of things like comfrey borders around lawns, or letting borage self-seed. If this is all 'chop and dropped' back into the lawn it will help. But if your lawn is low in minerals etc you need to bring something in. Not least because you've now lost a big source of material previously used to create compost for flower and veg beds.
We have beaches nearby and can collect seaweed. That, coupled with cut down comfrey and borage can be scattered over the lawn. I then plan to go over it with the lawn mower (without a collection bag) to shred it into tiny bits and spread it all over the lawn. You could also do likewise by collecting fallen leaves from neighbours or in the street. In time this has to help. I also have access to manure, but wouldn't have space to store a huge amount to rot down. So thinking about how I might get a bit of manure spread on the lawns.
Interesting my Son told me next Fall just mow my Leaves let them go into the soil.

big rockpile

Ask a Question