Can a plant be a pet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would say that a plant can not be a pet because you do not take care of it like you would an animal. An animal has to be able to mive around and you give it love and attention.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I would say that a plant can not be a pet because you do not take care of it like you would an animal. An animal has to be able to mive around and you give it love and attention.

My trees can't move around on their own, but I give them a lot of love and attention. I even take some of them out to bonsai meetings, workshops and shows every now and then :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pet bonsai. We even decorated him for Christmas.
B5Wc6J5CUAAPYRO.jpg-large.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Thanks, that was very clear. I guess a plant can't be a pet then. We'll have to create a cross between a plant and an animal. That will be as close as we can get. Part plant part cat. Can you picture her?

Hahaha, made my day. What if it grows some nasty thorns, would look tough! Pretty cool huh!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
A pet is a domesticated animal, I have never heard about it being a plant. Some do talk to their plants but that does not make the plants to be pets because you may never get any response from them. You can get response from your animal pet if you talk to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I would not say that a plant can be a pet in the true sense of the word. However, one can make a plant an idol by spending lots of time caring for it, pampering it, and even talking to it. I have often heard that talking to plants has a positive effect on them. If one does not have any other pets, like a dog or a cat, for instance, or even a child which they would take care of, then they may use their plants to fill that void and even see the plants as pets.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure why not? I think you could consider a plant as a pet. It's a living thing that you take the time to take care of it. If you love to take care of your plant and consider it a pet, I don't see the problem with that at all.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a couple of indoor plants that I've had for a long time that I consider pets. :)

A great book for you- What a Plant Knows: A Field Guide to the Senses, Daniel Chamovitz

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Well I had a venus fly trap that I talked to alot. It SORTA moves... so .. I guess that makes it my pet? Haha.. I've always considered my venus a pet never even gave it a thought. I treat it very much like one. Check on her daily and make sure she gets enough of her flies.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Maybe... but it won't show you any affection though, no matter how good you take care of it. I mean, it's another responsibility, sure, but watering it once a day barely compares to having a cat full time. It would definitely be a more relaxing experience for you.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Maybe... but it won't show you any affection though, no matter how good you take care of it. I mean, it's another responsibility, sure, but watering it once a day barely compares to having a cat full time. It would definitely be a more relaxing experience for you.

It seems to be a better pet to me than a goldfish... lol. I've had mine for a while now and I wouldnt trade her in for any amount of silly dumb looking fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Pets are usually animals. Lord knows I have had plenty of them in my lifetime. However, if you want to claim a plant as a pet, what harm can there be? They are alive after all. I mean think about it, how many people had pet rocks when they were little kids? Right? Or, maybe that was only me....:unsure: :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think a plant can be a pet, and I won't consider it as one! To me a pet is a living, breathing, functional things, has some sorts of emotional feelings. It is up to the person so, some thinks they can hear plant talks and have feelings. Whether they are coocoo or not, they don't hurt anyone, so it is fine with me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
While I think "pet" refers to companion animals rather than plants, I feel that the plants in my care, as well as those who share my environment, are without doubt my friends.

Ask a Question