Can a plant be a pet?

Reaction score
What is the definition of a pet? Is it possible to consider a plant to be a pet? If you say no, why not?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
The best known definition of a pet is a domesticated animal, but it can also be a person who has been pampered. There's no mention of plants there, so technically I'd say no, a plant can't be a pet.

However I do think that it's possible to treat a plant as a pet and I certainly tend to be guilty of that. I talk to my plants a lot and often refer to them as my children. I guess that's because they're filling a gap in my life.

I can't go out and get a child, but maybe I need to get a dog. There just isn't room in my life for one right now.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
According to Wikipedia, a pet or companion animal is an animal kept for the main reason of companionship or protection and the most popular pet are cats and dogs. In the case of plant being a pet then technically I’d say no, you can’t make a plant your pet however I think you can pamper and treat them like a pet (my mom definitely do).

Reaction score
A plant is not really a pet and I don't know anyone who would consider calling a plant one. A plant is a plant and we all know that we do get very attached to them at times and do have somewhat of a grief process when some of them go to that Great Compost Heap in the Sky but they are not pets.

Reaction score
I've known of people who really baby their plants, but I am not sure they can call a plant a pet. A pet kind of implies some sort of interaction, like they look at you, respond directly to you and other things going on. I don't think a plant can really offer the companionship a pet does. Even small animals like birds or turtles that are sometimes not all that interactive with you still respond in some way. A plant really can't help you feel less alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I talk to my plants...like if i accidently break a leaf, I say sorry.

guess that makes me their pet, or typical Canuck? We apologize to lmp posts if we bump into them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Interesting question that has sparked interesting responses. As I think about all the ways the word "pet" is used, pet project, class pet, pet peeve... the act of petting... it would seem to suggest that anything pampered and special my be consdered to be 'pet' (descriptive), regardless of whether it was a bird, fish, dog, etc. (noun).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A pet is what you make of it in my opinion. I've owned small finches and they're not what you'd consider interactive, if anything they were just animal decorations in my home. Same goes for most fish, they're nice to look at, you take care of them but you can't interact with them, yet they're considered pets. Personally if someone enjoys their plants and takes care of them, ect then I can say that they're a pet. Sure it can't respond the same way as an animal but does it have to? People take joy in seeing a plant bloom, ect. I mean like a cat or dog, the better you treat them the more loyal they are to you- in a plant's case the better care you give it, the more it'll bloom for you.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very interesting question, I also talk and sing to my plants, but I would not call them my pets. The plants are very special to me and I think they even have personalities but I do not see them as a pet more like a friendship of some type.

Reaction score
I have an apple tree that I have always considered to be a pet!

Actually, it is the root stock of an apple tree that died back to the ground and then re-sprouted. It is a small and handsome tree, and every year it gives me loads of bland, very juicy apples. The apples are lovely to munch on when I am mowing the back yard, and the juice just RUNS down my throat! They are like NOTHING that the stores sell!

I totally understand why the stores do not sell the apples of this type, as they get soft and mealy very quickly in the fridge, they are tasteless when they are cooked, and other apples have more flavor but these are juicy and are JUST what I want on a hot summer's day! Lastly, the tree is beautifully shaped, and the leaves turn yellow after most trees have quit for the year so it really stands out!

I am very proud of my apple tree! And, even if it does not sit at my feet like my dog does I *DO* consider it to be a pet of mine!

Silly, isn't it?:rolleyes::giggle:;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
I would have to say no. I don't consider plants to be pets. Although I like to talk to my plants and baby them, they will always be a plant. I'm not sure how I would classify the difference though. I would like to say pets are something I have to take care of. They are also something I can interact with and receive an interaction back. However, plants can do this as well. Hm. That's something to think about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I have an apple tree that I have always considered to be a pet!

Actually, it is the root stock of an apple tree that died back to the ground and then re-sprouted. It is a small and handsome tree, and every year it gives me loads of bland, very juicy apples. The apples are lovely to munch on when I am mowing the back yard, and the juice just RUNS down my throat! They are like NOTHING that the stores sell!

I totally understand why the stores do not sell the apples of this type, as they get soft and mealy very quickly in the fridge, they are tasteless when they are cooked, and other apples have more flavor but these are juicy and are JUST what I want on a hot summer's day! Lastly, the tree is beautifully shaped, and the leaves turn yellow after most trees have quit for the year so it really stands out!

I am very proud of my apple tree! And, even if it does not sit at my feet like my dog does I *DO* consider it to be a pet of mine!

Silly, isn't it?:rolleyes::giggle:;)

The original tree was probably a different variety of apple grafted onto a hardier root stock, which would explain why they don't have a lot of flavour.

We've got a young peach tree that is threatening to do the same thing. We bought it about three years ago and it's always stayed very small, producing only about three peaches a year which either the birds or the hail destroy before they're ready for us to pick them. The top has been dying down a bit more each summer and I've noticed the tree is sprouting below the graft. I'm just letting it do its own thing as it seems to be the only way it will survive.

Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, a pet or companion animal is an animal kept for the main reason of companionship or protection and the most popular pet are cats and dogs. In the case of plant being a pet then technically I’d say no, you can’t make a plant your pet however I think you can pamper and treat them like a pet (my mom definitely do).
Thanks, that was very clear. I guess a plant can't be a pet then. We'll have to create a cross between a plant and an animal. That will be as close as we can get. Part plant part cat. Can you picture her?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question