Bought wrong plant for my zone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Accidentally ordered a plant for my zone 5 flowerbed that says it's for zone 6. Is there any way I can protect it enough during winter months to survive or am I just out of luck?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It depends what sort of plant it is a bit, most flowerbed plants die down over winter, I put a good thick mulch on my dahlias to protect the corm from frost. Otherwise you might get away with a good covering of hay to protect it, but make sure the hay was not treated with weed killer when it was grown, some of the selective grass treatments last a long time.
I don't know how it is in your area, but we also seem to be getting warmer winters, so you might be in luck. Worth a try if you have the space and like the plant.
PS my missus loves tender salvias, so grows them in pots to stand in the greenhouse over winter and place out in the garden behind something tall enough to hide the pot in Summer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Depends on the plant! You could try planting it with a landscaping fabric around the base and covering that in mulch, which will help to keep the roots warm! Then possibly a covering of some kind like a frost cloth for the really bitter cold days. Just make sure to take the cloth off when the temperature is high enough to not burn the plant.

The lowest temperature is about 15 degrees lower in zone 5 than in zone 6. Good luck!

Ask a Question