Bought 2 Prime Ark Freedom from Lowes..

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've read that it was created by Professor Clark, at Arkansas University. My question is why would both plants I bought have completely different leaf structures, if they come from the same patented variety. One is completely covered from top to bottom with more narrow leaves, that have a rigid look on the edges. The other has big fat leaves, from top bottom. New growth primocanes exhibit the same leaf patten as their mother crown. One producing rigid, narrow leaf, new Primocanes. While the other produces the completely different looking, fat leaf new Primocanes.

The wild blackberries in my area (Zone 9 Upstate South Carolina), look more like the wide leaf one. Was just curious if anyone knew why two plants of the same variety could look so different? Are these indeed the same plants at a genetic level, just both somehow expressing different growth? If so does anyone know anything about these rigid leaf blackberries? Seems it would looks so different because it is expressing some different trait from a mother plant back up its genetic line. If so what variety/area of origin I wonder? I included some pictures of the blackberry leaves so you could see the difference.

Attachments

• 20200405_234658.jpg
    20200405_234658.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 175
  • 20200405_234702.jpg
    20200405_234702.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20200405_234819.jpg
    20200405_234819.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200405_234829.jpg
    20200405_234829.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 180
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have noticed in the past that taking cuttings at different places on the plant will often cause the issue you are talking about. The same goes with plant vigor or growth rate too. Some cuttings have more vigor from the location of the cutting and where their cuts have been taken. It seems that cuttings off the top are more productive and faster growers than cuttings taken off the bottom or secondary limbs. In the end all the berries are the same off the different plants that were cloned from one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've now noticed that the one with the broad leaves is completely done flowering, and the rigid leaf has just now started. Both are in the same pot for now. They seem to both be thorn less, erect growing, primocane flowering blackberries. But they don't appear to be the same variety to me. Leaves look completely different even on this years new canes. And now they appear to have completely different flowering windows. Not complaining, I'll have a larger window of fruiting looks like. Just wish I knew what this other variety is, or perhaps what plants genetic traits im seeing in the rigid leaf. Looks almost like a EverGreen BlackBerry? But not quite. Photo of EverGreen included
blackberry_evergreen_leaf.jpg

Ask a Question