Best gardening projects for kids

Reaction score
So as I've mentioned elsewhere, I run a home for children, which means there's always plently of little ones running around. We're always on the lookout for new things to do with them, and while we've already got a few gardening projects going, including a full orchard, and vegetable garden, I'm wondering if maybe you guys can recommend some further projects that you think might be good for us to look into?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Some photos of different ways to do it - looks like the bottom one is using a pair of tights and grass seed so obviously not edible!

eggheads-cress-hair-eggs.jpg

ssl20656.jpg

Reaction score
Have you ever done cress heads with them? They are really simple and you get a relatively fast result. I remember doing them at school and we all thought it was great :)

Here's a link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/mr-blooms-nursery/makes/mr-blooms-nursery-cressheads/

They get the fun of decorating the container how they want, then they can watch it grow and eat the cress! I do love egg and cress sandwiches :D
Yeah Becky we do the cress heads every so often with the new little ones. The ones who have already done it aren't so enthusiastic about doing it again, you know?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Reaction score
Ah I see! How about making habitats for bugs - such as ladybirds? Could be a good project for older kids?

http://www.buglife.org.uk/sites/default/files/Gardening for bugs - children1_0.pdf

Ohhh that's quite a nice one actually! I'll have to look into getting these things ready, thanks :)

If I were you, I'd try growing sprouts with them, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. Most seeds sprout very quickly, so it will be a perfect project for children, who often are impatient. What is even better, sprouts are edible, they're healthy and delicious. You can read more about them here:
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/sprouting.1904/
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/your-favorite-sprouts.1903/

What would you recommend to go with Claudine, if we were to be eating them afterwards? Preferably something which could be cooked easily enough by the kids, perhaps with a little help of course

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
What would you recommend to go with Claudine, if we were to be eating them afterwards? Preferably something which could be cooked easily enough by the kids, perhaps with a little help of course
Actually, sprouts can be eaten raw, you don't need to cook them:) My favorite are mung bean sprouts, they look almost like candies and they're yummy. Their taste is hard to describe, but in my opinion they're sweet. I'm sure your children will love them.
I heard that wheat sprouts are easy to grow and quite delicious too, but I've never tried them, because I'm gluten intolerant.

Reaction score
Actually, sprouts can be eaten raw, you don't need to cook them:) My favorite are mung bean sprouts, they look almost like candies and they're yummy. Their taste is hard to describe, but in my opinion they're sweet. I'm sure your children will love them.
I heard that wheat sprouts are easy to grow and quite delicious too, but I've never tried them, because I'm gluten intolerant.
Well, looks like I've got egg on my face then don't I?

I think I'll go with the mung bean sprouts, and mix in a healthy dose of wheat sprouts, and some others that I'll look into. Thanks very much for suggesting this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Well, looks like I've got egg on my face then don't I?

I think I'll go with the mung bean sprouts, and mix in a healthy dose of wheat sprouts, and some others that I'll look into. Thanks very much for suggesting this!
I guess you could cook sprouts, but I'm afraid they would lose their nutritional value if you did it. Also, they aren't very tasty when they aren't fresh.
Mung bean sprouts are the easiest to grow, I think. I put seeds in my sprouter (you can use a jar instead), I flush them once a day. After four or five days, I wash them and I eat them like candies. It's a very healthy snack:D

Ask a Question