Bees

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
This got to be one of the most amazing tings someone in this forum will ever be able to show... simply because not many people have a mighty hive like that in their garden :eek::eek::eek: Kudos to you for being so kind to the environment, I salute you!!! Your garden must be such a wonderful place for the bees to actually feel safe enough to build their home there! Wow! Thanks a lot (y)(y)(y)
Thanks. I have honey every single day and that we buy from the market. Just by destroying one bee hive how much honey will I get.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am anti-chemicals in the garden and I plant stuff to attract/feed bees and pollinators. I'm a bit perturbed with the lizards right now - I saw one eating a bee over at garden #3 and another eating a dragonfly in my back yard. What can you do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My garden keeps getting bees that build their hives. I do not touch them till they leave the place. And when they do, I see they have eaten up all the honey that they have collected.

Bees don't collect honey, they make it. They collect pollen; honey is a byproduct of the bees' regurgitation. You must have many pollinator friendly plants in your garden, though the hive you posted doesn't look like one that would hold honey.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Bees don't collect honey, they make it. They collect pollen; honey is a byproduct of the bees' regurgitation. You must have many pollinator friendly plants in your garden, though the hive you posted doesn't look like one that would hold honey.

I know they do not collect honey - just a slip.

Reaction score
I am anti-chemicals in the garden and I plant stuff to attract/feed bees and pollinators. I'm a bit perturbed with the lizards right now - I saw one eating a bee over at garden #3 and another eating a dragonfly in my back yard. What can you do?

Oh no! I hate it when things like that happen, I've seen similar things happening. I remember seeing my mother's dog killing a bee, she used to tell me he did it often (n) Not much I could do since I no longer lived there and my mother didn't really care :unsure::unsure:

Reaction score
Thanks. I have honey every single day and that we buy from the market. Just by destroying one bee hive how much honey will I get.

Wow, you do get honey from them as well?! You do a little bit of everything over there, don't you' :p I remember knowing someone who did the same, best honey ever (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh no! I hate it when things like that happen, I've seen similar things happening. I remember seeing my mother's dog killing a bee, she used to tell me he did it often (n) Not much I could do since I no longer lived there and my mother didn't really care :unsure::unsure:

Wow, that's kind of sad. This morning I have been thinking about a workshop I wanted to try and do for National Pollinator's week. I was going to get a bag of wildflower seed and make little packets of it to hand out with literature on pollinators, as well as teach people what to plant specifically to attract bees. So many people just want to grab a can of wasp spray without think of the trickle-down effect.

Reaction score
Wow, that's kind of sad. This morning I have been thinking about a workshop I wanted to try and do for National Pollinator's week. I was going to get a bag of wildflower seed and make little packets of it to hand out with literature on pollinators, as well as teach people what to plant specifically to attract bees. So many people just want to grab a can of wasp spray without think of the trickle-down effect.

That is great, I'm glad to hear you are spreading the info and trying to do something about it! What's the trickle-down effect? This is the first time to hear about it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is great, I'm glad to hear you are spreading the info and trying to do something about it! What's the trickle-down effect? This is the first time to hear about it!

It's an expression. It means one thing can have an effect on a series of other things that happen as a result of the first thing occurring. Spraying poison to kill one bug has an effect on other bugs, lizrds, frigs, birds, and ultimately you.

Reaction score
Oh so it's just an expression, I had never heard it before, thanks a lot for taking the time to explain it so well, you rock (y) I'll not forget it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for info, someone is giving me the hive, so I'm going to get as much info as possible before i decide on taking it, I live in a rural area,so that's not a problem. oh yea, wanted to ask about drinking water,i have 2 birdbaths and 3 - 18 inch round 2" deep watering pans that my girlfriend uses for all the birds we feed,there is a pond about 1/2 a mile away.

Thanks,
Mike

The bees will be fine for water, as noted place some rocks or sticks in the bird baths/pans to give them something to crawl onto if they get into the water. My bees just crawl around the edge of my bird bath, but I do have a piece of sandstone there for them.

You do not have to have an extractor to harvest the honey...

Take a look at this guy on youtube you can learn a lot from him about bees.
Don Kuchenmeister, The Fat Bee Man has over 55 years of experience as a beekeeper and 35 years as a commercial beekeeper. Pesticide free since 1993. 100% Organically managed operation.
Extracting honey on the cheap - video

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have carpenter bees on the deck which has not been treated. I don't see many of the pollinating bees around my yard or area.

Reaction score
Guys! I have finally seen some bees in my yard again, some were trying to get into my house, they were flying near the door and the window. I thought it was odd, maybe this is a good sign.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even with a wet summer here in my world, I have seen different butterflies and bees hovering over my flowers. It is such a good sight to see especially for me since I live smack in the city. So far, butterflies and bees seem to like my white cornflowers that are blooming at the moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is the first year after about 7 years I've had so many bees in my yard, way back when in 2003 when I moved here there were no bees to be seen by 2005 they bees were back at the point you could hardly see the flowers with the bees on then, I've all ways been Pesticide and chemicals free. But come 2007 the bees were slowly disappearing and over the next few years I would see one or two bees but with any luck the will grow in numbers again. I feel that if people would stop or cut back on the chemicals they use the bees would make a come back.

Ask a Question