Bees

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm so curious to know what you think about bees and the fact they are in danger. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I started to hear about the bees being in danger, but I didn't quite get how important they really are, until 6 months ago.

After all they are in charge of all the pollination, without them scientists say we'd not be able to survive more than 4 years. Truth is I no longer see bees, I used to see them very often 7 years ago, I saw them often around the dog's water bowl. Not anymore :(

Do you see a lot bees where you live? Do you really think they cold go extinct?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live way out in the country and on my property there is a hive of wild honeybees that live in a big hollow oak tree. They have been there for who knows how long, but at least since 1991. I have seen them slowly declining in numbers over the years but at the same time I have seen other pollinators such as Mason bees and hover wasps increase in numbers. I don't know what the cause of the decline of honey bees can be as there are no chemicals being used within miles of here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It's generally pesticides. Not only does it outright kill them, but if it doesn't, then it causes enough damage to shut down their immune system to prevent illness and fight off parasites. They also have to work harder to obtain resources because pure grass lawns doesn't offer pollen for them to use in the suburbs/city.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live out in the mountain foothills and there are a lot of bees around here during the summer months. September also seems to be a huge bee month and this is (I assume) because they are getting ready for winter. Bee extinction could become a reality in the city areas, but I just don't see it happening out in the countryside where they still have a lot of natural, and unchemically treated resources.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We keep bees, and have no trouble with colony collapse, which is what I think y'all are thinking about. We don't use pesticides, and our neighbors are ranchers, so their fields are pretty safe. Bees forage for three miles, so they will encounter some chemicals.
Rosyrain, I think you are right--bees in rural areas are more likely to find more nectar/pollen plants that are safe for them.
I think the "bees will become extinct and all the food sources for humans will disappear" theory is a bit of an overstatement. Bees are not the only pollinators, and nature, abhoring a vacuum, will move other pollinators like the ones Chuck mentioned into the void.
Be kind to your local bees (and beekeepers!) by planting lots of flowers, clover, buckwheat, and vegetables that flower. Squash blooms are a particular favorite of our bees, as are pepper blossoms.
May I mention that our honey is absolutely delicious?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There's lots of hives in our cities that rely on the wide variety of flowers grown in gardens.

While we have problems with the varroa mite, there are still plenty of colonies around, our resident bee keeper on the uk forum got 3 swarms in his bait hives last summer, he was well pleased :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I see bees all the time. Not too many honey bees, though. Pesticides are the biggest problem. Thats true for many animals, sadly.

IMG_0736.png IMG_0775.png

Reaction score
The illnesses that are happening with the bees sort of reminds me of the Black Death for humans: it is bad stuff but the bees should not become extinct! No more than humans did!

Yes, I did lose my hive a few years back, but other beekeepers in my area kept most of their hives alive. Some of them did lose 1/4 of their hives, but bees can reproduce very quickly and by the end of the summer they were pretty much up to full strength, bee-wise! The next year more hives died out, and the surviving hives were again divided , and so on.

Resistant hives survive and pass on their genes. Many of offspring of the resistant hives do not have resistance to this illness, but some of them do. This is hard on both the farmers and the beekeepers, but the bees show no signs of becoming extinct.

There have been some alarmist reports that humans will die if the honey bees do, but that is absolutly not true! A huge portion of what we eat is *NOT* pollinated by bees at all, including grains and grasses. All members of the grass family (including all grain) is pollinated by the wind, as are tomatos and some other vegetables.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There have been some alarmist reports that humans will die if the honey bees do, but that is absolutly not true! A huge portion of what we eat is *NOT* pollinated by bees at all, including grains and grasses

Correct. Still, the bees are important enough - - all species are important enough - - that it should be treated like a life or death situation. Its sad to see how many species are projected to be gone from this earth before I am, and how many species won't live much beyond that. We humans have created a bad problem, but sadly our governments don't much care about it to make a plan to fix it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Never fear. I am sure the government is hard at work developing GMO plants that do not need pollination at all. They might be even be on the verge of GMO bees too. You know, the bees that feed on insecticides instead of pollen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I live in town, but there are several bee keepers within a half mile. They are out when the weather is clear. I think the native bumble bees are way cooler though. They don't mind a cool misty day to helicopter around in. There are several other native pollinators like the big hover flies that are very entertaining to watch as they try to control different flower patches of flowers from other hover flies during the summer. Guess I just like insects in general.

Reaction score
Never fear. I am sure the government is hard at work developing GMO plants that do not need pollination at all. They might be even be on the verge of GMO bees too. You know, the bees that feed on insecticides instead of pollen

Have you heard about the GMO mosquitoes already? They will test them this summer, I think. Oh yeah, they are working very hard, gives me the creeps!

Reaction score
I live in town, but there are several bee keepers within a half mile. They are out when the weather is clear. I think the native bumble bees are way cooler though. They don't mind a cool misty day to helicopter around in. There are several other native pollinators like the big hover flies that are very entertaining to watch as they try to control different flower patches of flowers from other hover flies during the summer. Guess I just like insects in general.

Hi Jewell! I'm very happy to read that! I admire those who dare to do something like that, I know I'd not! Because well, several members of my family are extremely allergic to bees (if they get a sting they might die). But I love buying honey from local bee keepers :D It's great for allergies!

Reaction score
It's generally pesticides. Not only does it outright kill them, but if it doesn't, then it causes enough damage to shut down their immune system to prevent illness and fight off parasites. They also have to work harder to obtain resources because pure grass lawns doesn't offer pollen for them to use in the suburbs/city.

Uhm yeah, those pesticides are the devil, for us as well. Hence i grow fonder and fonder of the idea of growing most of my crops. I mean, there are many things I can just freeze and safe for later! As for those poor bees, I'll make sure to plant lots of lavender for them!

Ask a Question