avocado

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Corzhens...from what i understand, avocados are healthy fruits. There are 2 kinds of cholesterol, good and bad. I've read that avocados have the good cholesterol. Doctors really know so little about healthy foods. I am going to do some further research (using reliable sources) and let you know what i find out, and maybe some people on the thread here know much more than i do about this and will respond to it. Right now i am in a rush to leave the house...so all look forward to talking with you all, later today, or in a couple of days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Have you had any of the avocado plants you started from seed flower and produce fruit? I have a plant started from a pit (they are always sprouting in my compost) that I was told would not fruit. I have kept it because of what I learned about the benefit of avocado leaves, though I am not sure that the benefit would still be there in a non-fruiting tree.

To increase the possibilities of your tree bearing fruit, you need to have two trees and have them close enough together, so bees or birds can polinize the flowers. Pip trees may take longer to be mature enough for bearing fruit.

In my grandpa's home, they had a pip tree and a grafted one, and both gave fruit. You never know for sure what quality of fruit will the pip tree produce tough (since seed plants are not identical to their parents).

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Here avocados are very cheap since they have almost grown everywhere. Wherever you throw the seed it must germinate if you can't disturb it. For now you can buy 10 of them at $1. I also like eating avocados.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Argentina
Here they have gotten expensive as well. For the small kind, which are the only ones available, are ranging from $0.65 to 0.90 cents a piece. That's in U.S.

By the way, how long would it take an avocado tree to produce grown from seed?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Corzhens...guess what? I did an online search for "heart healthy foods". According to what i found, avocados have naturally good fats, are cholesterol and sodium free. One site notes avocados as being one of the 10 best foods for the heart. Here are just three of the sites that came up on my search, but there are many others. Maybe you should show them to your doctor.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307113,00.html

https://www.avocadocentral.com/nutrition/avocados-good-fats-heart-health

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

So, it appears you can eat avocados to your heart's content, if you can afford to buy them. The prices are high everywhere, except Kenya that has very economical prices, although it would cost a fortune to get to Kenya to buy them:eek:. Do avocados grow well in the Philippines? How are the prices there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
To increase the possibilities of your tree bearing fruit, you need to have two trees and have them close enough together, so bees or birds can polinize the flowers. Pip trees may take longer to be mature enough for bearing fruit.

In my grandpa's home, they had a pip tree and a grafted one, and both gave fruit. You never know for sure what quality of fruit will the pip tree produce tough (since seed plants are not identical to their parents).

I am back at Lowe's for the spring season and there are some avocado trees in the garden center. I'm thinking of getting one, though I didn't realize you need two of them. I know someone with a fruiting tree, but I don't think she has more than one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@Beverly, thank you very much for the information and I really appreciate your effort. One of the 10 best foods for the heart, huh. Maybe I can go back to eating avocado especially now that it is in season here. My husband's cousin has a tree that bears the best avocado in town. I'm sure she will be glad when I would ask for their avocado tomorrow. Thanks again for the info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love avocado too but can only buy them in summer when the markets get them in and they are expensive. I have seen other people planting avocado with the toothpick inserted into the seed and just let them sit half way in the water. There is no way we can grow avocado where I live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I am back at Lowe's for the spring season and there are some avocado trees in the garden center. I'm thinking of getting one, though I didn't realize you need two of them. I know someone with a fruiting tree, but I don't think she has more than one.

I guess there can be varieties that are auto-polinizing, it wouldn't surprise me a bit. Or may be there's another tree on the same block or even some blocks away. The key is to facilitate that wind, bees, or birds are able transport the pollen from tree to tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Corzhens...you are very welcome, a pleasure, enjoy those avocados knowing they are good for you.
@granjera...this is interesting. As far as avocados go, they do have fats, but not the kind that produce cholesterol period. There is zero cholesterol in avocados & zero sodium. The fats in avocados actually fight cholesterol rather than produce it, hence its "healthy heart" food rating.
@fuumarumota...take a look at this website. It says there are two types of avocado flowers, type A and type B, one type are flowers that are male in the morning and female in the afternoon, and the other type are flowers that are female in the morning and male in the afternoon. I don't know if Type A flowers and Type B flowers show up on the same tree. This is all news to me and somewhat confusing but i think if i were growing an avocado tree, i would have a grafting done to be safe. I mean i wouldn't want to wait for 5-13 years to find out if the tree was going to produce fruit or not. Having a fruitless avocado tree would be really annoying, yes?
http://www.californiaavocado.com/how-tos/your-own-avocado-tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Hey! Quite interesting link you put there. I'll get to research more about how to grow these trees, I love them.

Ask a Question