avocado

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
is it true that if you take the avo pip and plant it into some soil with match sticks in it, avo will grow? I know they come from a tree and wondering if this is possible because a few people have told me that they do this but I am not sure if this is something that will work, if it is that would be great because they are getting so expensive now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It is true, tasha. The way i have done it though is a little bit different. I insert the toothpicks about half way up the seed and insert the belly button (the place where the roots will come out) into a glass of water, so about half of the seed is submerged. When it has some nice roots, then i plant it in the soil. The trees become enormous. I live in tropical Mexico and there are avocados everywhere and they are outrageously expensive here too. I can't remember exactly when they became so expensive, but it has been fairly recently like maybe within the last 5 years. Good luck!

I remember someone telling me some time ago that avocados are fruits and not vegetables. Is this true?

Just looked it up on Wiki and it is being called a fruit there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I'm also from Mexico and I can totally confirm what @Beverly is saying. I grow the avocado pip the same way, in a glass of water. The fact that the avocado is this expensive while having lots and lots of trees in our lands is kind of sad. I hope this changes for the better, since avocados are delicious.

Reaction score
It is true, tasha. The way i have done it though is a little bit different. I insert the toothpicks about half way up the seed and insert the belly button (the place where the roots will come out) into a glass of water, so about half of the seed is submerged. When it has some nice roots, then i plant it in the soil. The trees become enormous. I live in tropical Mexico and there are avocados everywhere and they are outrageously expensive here too. I can't remember exactly when they became so expensive, but it has been fairly recently like maybe within the last 5 years. Good luck!

I remember someone telling me some time ago that avocados are fruits and not vegetables. Is this true?

Hi there! I was taught this method as well, but I haven't had the chance to try it, I also live in Mexico as well, not in the tropical part though, but in the north. And yeah, we have noticed the avocado prices have gone up a lot in the last few years! It's crazy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Maybe the growers are exporting their avocados to countries where they will bring more money (i.e. US dollars and European Euros)? I can't say i blame them, but it is hard on us local avocado lovers. I don't have space for a tree myself so i buy them anyway. Some of the markets carry local produce with prices considerably less than the large Supers...and they are better and fresher, generally. Keep us posted on the progress of your avocado tasha. Maybe post a photo?:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
We get all your avocados in Canada. Four little ones cost five dollars. I eat about five a week. We seldom get the large avocados in the supermarkets.

I have grown avacado only to about two feet tall just for fun indoors. I simply put the seed in good soil and kept damp and it grew. Not very attractive, since they don't have many leaves when small. I was fascinated by the large seed hence my desire to grow it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

This is how I grew some avocados too. I never put my plants outside though,I live in North Georgia, so I didn't think I they would survive colder temps during the winter. However, I someone on this site said there are varieties that can survive colder temps....I never knew that, and maybe next time I'll put my plants outside.

Yes, they are considered a fruit and I'm so shocked that avocados would be so expensive in Mexico. You would think they would be a lot more affordable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)@Durgan...I see your perky looking dog there, do you know, that here dogs love avocados too? The ones that fall from the tree are the ones that the dogs pounce on and eat right up. This happens during the dry seasons because the oils and nutrients in the avocados help to keep the dogs' coats in good condition. Although i don't expect at 5$ for 4 little ones, your Ginny will be getting any avocados at that price. It would be interesting to see if she would eat one though. This is maybe something that only dogs raised in avocado country know about. I am sure Ginny and her owner have their own less expensive methods to keep her coat & skin healthy during the cold and crispy Ontario winters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I put some pieces of avocado on her food plate and she wouldn't touch them. I must try again. I feed Ginny a few sardines almost daily particularly the oil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Durgan...if Ginny is getting sardines, she probably doesn't need the avocado plus it is something foreign to her. I think if the dogs here were getting sardines, they would probably leave the avocados alone too. So you get the avocado, Ginny gets the sardines and everyone is healthy and happy. Kind of a fun experiment though. She's very cute, i expect she knows that, I like the design of the white markings...really a sweet looking dog.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I gave Ginny some avocado and she enjoyed it. My price for 4 avocados was wrong it should be $2.69 for four. They vary higher depending upon where purchased.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Durgan, no kidding!:) Well, we know she has expensive and healthy tastes. Sounds like you are going to have to share your avocados now. Very interesting experiment. The price should go down during peak harvesting season. I think there are 2 harvests per year depending on where the trees are growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From my husband who knows plants, he said that planting avocado here is from the stone (or what you call it). Get the stone from a well-ripe avocado, the over-ripe is much better since the roots are already starting to appear. Plant the stone on the ground about 6 inches deep. Water is once a day and after 2 weeks, expect the little seedling to appear from the ground.

I used to love avocado but when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, my doctor advised me against eating avocado for it has a high content of cholesterol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm also from Mexico and I can totally confirm what @Beverly is saying. I grow the avocado pip the same way, in a glass of water. The fact that the avocado is this expensive while having lots and lots of trees in our lands is kind of sad. I hope this changes for the better, since avocados are delicious.

Have you had any of the avocado plants you started from seed flower and produce fruit? I have a plant started from a pit (they are always sprouting in my compost) that I was told would not fruit. I have kept it because of what I learned about the benefit of avocado leaves, though I am not sure that the benefit would still be there in a non-fruiting tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Have you had any of the avocado plants you started from seed flower and produce fruit?
As far as I read... Avocados grown from seed require a lot of time to produce fruit.

someone said:
If growing from seed, it can take anywhere from 5 to 13 years before the tree is mature enough to set fruit.

As for personal experience, I had an avocado tree in my back yard for more than 6 years and it never produced anything.

Sadly, we had to remove/kill that tree and various others. :cry:

Ask a Question