Avocado Tree Not Giving Me Fruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have heard that I have to graft my tree with another tree because it is not giving us any fruit and we have had it for 10 years now. It is about 20 ft tall and looks pretty healthy. My neighbor has a huge avocado tree that droops over into my backyard and it produces tons of avocados. I want to ask him if I can use some of his tree to graft with mine, but I don't know where to start. Any tips or ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your tree was probably grown from seed and it is unlikely that it will produce fruit although I would give it a couple of more years just to make sure. You graft onto seedling trees not full grown ones. I suppose you could do a bunch of grafts onto your tree but even if you do you will only have fruit on the grafted parts and the rest of the tree will remain barren. You would be far ahead of the game if you just removed the tree and replaced it with a grafted one. You might start to get fruit next year or for sure the next year if you do. It will still take a year or two for the grafts on your existing tree to produce

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I agree with @Chuck. Trees grown from seed tend to take many years to produce if at all. I wouldnt remove it though, they look great.

You can try graft a branch with your neighbor's tree and see what happens next year. As @Chuck say, you may be able to get fruit after a year or two.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks guys! My sister gave it to me when it was just a foot tall. It might have been from a seed. I think she bought it at Home Depot. I am going to try with a seedling and with a brand from my neighbor's tree and see what happens. I think it's worth a shot. It is really windy and rainy right now and I don't want to risk it coming apart. I will have to wait until the weather clears up.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Could the plant be lacking minerals for the biosynthesis of florigen? There is a method used in Latin America to induce flowering. The plant is ringed with a shallow trench and potassium nitrate is applied around the card. Am alternative method is to gather yet branches at the base and then setting them alight. The smoke billowing upwards induces flowering. I read that this method is used to increase fruiting cycles.

Ask a Question