Are there mini greenhouses?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Most green houses are of huge to mini range of dimensions. Some people have very small gardens or little disposable income due to subsistence farming. It could even be a case of a valuable but fragile plant which you wish to preserve. This brings me to the issue of whether there are micro greenhouses which can be adapted to these situations?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You can get these

We call them blowaways in the uk :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a number of places where you can buy mini greenhouses. Not only can you get them at a garden centre but you can also buy them online from Argos with a home delivery. They are very cheap but can be prone to blow away in strong winds unless you secure them tightly to the ground. I think it may be best to get a greenhouse that is secured tightly to the ground but this may work out more expensive. Perhaps you could google your local garden centre and see what they have available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10-B
Country
United States
I know that mini greenhouses can be made from plastic water bottles, and you can easily find instructions online. I have a friend who made one for a woman's shelter to let them grow their own food in winter. It's a great way to recycle, and they can be made as big or as small as you need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I started with potted plants and cut off the bottom of 5-gallon water jugs, set the modified jug in the potted soil to create a nice seal. Made a super cheap and easy to maintain green house. Granted it's a per pot basis, but effective nonetheless. $8 at walmart!

If you need to increase humidity, a spray bottle works amazingly.

I learned this method from cultivating a variety of fungus mushrooms like portobello, shitake, and a few other wood based mushrooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@TheBeardedGarden, any info you can share on shroom gardening would be most welcome!

OP if you are still around, Google cloche gardens. I have on hand some old windows that I plan on using to start seeds early spring. Or as others suggest, look into plastic bottles, anything that will allow both light and some insulation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@TheBeardedGarden, any info you can share on shroom gardening would be most welcome!

OP if you are still around, Google cloche gardens. I have on hand some old windows that I plan on using to start seeds early spring. Or as others suggest, look into plastic bottles, anything that will allow both light and some insulation.

Mushroom gardening it's a different process all together. Since you are cultivating a fungus, it's significantly different than growing.

For example, fungus needs oxygen and produces carbon dioxide. So a consistant source of air is required. The medium to cultivate the mycelium (white parts of fungus or roots) is a nutrient rich medium, for cost effective reasons it's usually brown rice flower - good in sugars and carbs.

Mycelium digest this material by excreting digestive juices to be brake down material, like an inside out stomach.

When the fungus decides to procreate it blooms mushrooms, usually at the of the nutrients being sapped clean, to continue colonize. Spores are it's seed and spores are more apt at survival than seeds. Mushrooms on average are 9/10th water, high in protein and fiber, great in nutritional value since they tend be composed of the things it digest.

That being said, the medium of which you cultivate is at high risk of other molds and fugus' to grow. If contamination occurrs throw away as certain molds are really dangerous to humans. (Black molds in particular iirc)

But the processes that are there insure safe growth and if you are good at following instructions success can be met very easily.

Check out a company called MycoTechnology. Myclieum and fungus is a very super interesting world. Fungus is the other end of plants no one really studies. And intact fungus has major implications on how every day life takes..... Root.

Fun fact: each individual mushroom is its own gender. No two mushrooms the same gender. So you have a male, female, and what ever other genders there possibly could be.... Talk about genetic diversity! The success to any species.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was wondering the same. I'd love to grow basil. I suppose if you use some tent pegs and fasten it down!! This one is a good size too!

You should be able to grow basil where you live without a greenhouse. I have a short growing season (about five months from frost to frost) and grow basil every year from starter plants. :) It is a fast and vigorous grower, and as long as you pinch off the flowers (to encourage leaf growth) you'll have a big bush you can harvest from all year, with plenty to spare for drying or freezing. One single potted sweet basil plant does me all season with plenty to spare. Thai and other basil plants are a bit less prolific but I like sweet basil best anyway.

Ask a Question