Rescue transforms into a mini forest...I hope

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
After I found that the African Violets at the grocery store I was going to save this morning were gone I decided to go back to the sorry excuse for a nursery we have here in town and look through the discarded pile of plants they have. I found these 4 Snowrose (Serissa foetida) trees. The soil was dried out and they were laying on their sides but they still had green and there was still potential. So I bought them at full price because the manager said it was against store policy to discount(greedy owners would rather throw them out I guess).

Anyway, here is what I did with them.

THIS IS A PICTURE FROM THE INTERNET. THIS IS NOT ONE OF MY SNOWROSES. THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN IT FLOWERS. THIS HAPPENS 3 TIMES A YEAR.

BIH B131 2012-6-29, flowers..jpg

20151130_102850.jpg

20151130_102901.jpg

20151130_102919.jpg

20151130_164331.jpg

20151130_164341.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also rescue plants when I see them. It looks like you have some good plants there and will soon have a very large forest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Love the display you have - reminds me a little of Japanese bonsai, in the cute little pots like that. Looks very decorative. Good on you for saving more plants - I can't wait to see if they flower beautifully for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They looked fantastic after your rescued! The same thing happened to me one year when I saw an employee at Meijer threw out a bunch of plants in the garbage; I asked if I can have a few and she said it is against their policy. So they dumped out half dead plants rather than giving them away :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Pretty soon you're going to be known as "the plant doctor", Java Guy. I'm sure your new plants will recover nicely and then get on with having a long, healthy, and floriferous life.
For those who see plants going into the waste bin at stores, I have two words that I live by--Dumpster Dive!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@IcyBC..I am not surprised. Like we discussed earlier, Meijer is one of the worst. I wouldn't be surprised to find those African Violets in the bottom of a dumpster. I wonder if employees at least are allowed to take soon to be discarded plants.

@marlingardener ... :ROFLMAO: at your dumpster dive suggestion! I don't know, I think I might not be able to get back out of the dumpster! Then what?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Love the display you have - reminds me a little of Japanese bonsai, in the cute little pots like that. Looks very decorative. Good on you for saving more plants - I can't wait to see if they flower beautifully for you.

These trees are actually some of the more popular types of flowering trees bonsai enthusiasts use. They have small flowers and small leaves and grow well both indoors and out. I'm sure you probably saw them as actual bonsai's at some point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Meijer and Walmart garden sections make me sad. :(

Very impressive @Java Guy !
I started a thread titled something about feral plants early this summer...some of the properties I work on have vintage abandoned perennials. Quite a few of the plants in my garden were "rescued" - several types of hosta, bishops weed, ferns, Rhododendron, peony, and Dave the Japanese maple who sadly didn't make it. :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't think I have the appetite to buy a dying plant because it may just disappoint me. The marigold I bought the other week was neglected of water for a day and it was withering when I saw it. It's a good thing that we were able to revive it by spraying mists of water several times a day. And if the store wouldn't give me a discount on their dying plant then they lose that if I wouldn't buy it.

Reaction score
Wow, this is a great idea! I am tempted to create a mini forest now. I never thought to organize something like this, but it's a beautiful idea. It reminds me of fairies and fantasy books. I like the idea of rescuing plants as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love your mini forest and I hope all those tiny trees will grow heathy. They look really good already:) You're doing a great job!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
These trees are actually some of the more popular types of flowering trees bonsai enthusiasts use. They have small flowers and small leaves and grow well both indoors and out. I'm sure you probably saw them as actual bonsai's at some point.

Hey - that's neat! Good to know I wasn't imagining things, I did think they looked very familiar!!

Ask a Question