Any life hacks to share please?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
On Blue Planet II, yellow rubber duck journeys revealed that there are interlinked currents all around us, so everything we do might really affect us and the globe we live in.

Whenever I add a dollop of bleach into the toilet pan, I feel guilty as the chemicals there will be flushed out and some people do this every day so that their toilet bowls like shinny ..

Have you got any life hacks to reduce our footprints on this globe? Anything that's ecologically friendly and it can be anything that you care to share .. not just cleaning the toilet, removing limescale. For example, organic way of controlling pests ..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We harvest rainwater to use on gardens--better for the plants and therefore better for us! We also have "organic" vegetable gardens. Organic is in quotes because we aren't certified organic. We found we either had time to garden, or to fill out the paperwork to get certified. Everyone we share produce with knows we don't use chemicals on our gardens. Even our chickens get an organic diet (Purina Layer Pellets) but there are vitamins added in manufacture.
I admit to being frugal (toss nickels around like manhold covers) and organic is better for us, and for our budget.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant! Globe saving ethos!

I also collected rainwater. Use a wormery to get worm juice and banana peels for fertiliser - all thanks to @Larisa. Just finished ordering organic flour from Amazon, using my vouchers instead of credit card. It took me half a day - hours of stresses. Talking to 4 people and finally I have just finished doing that. What a nightmare.

Need to get some air purifying plants for outdoors.. I also collect leaves for making my own leaf mould.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
My grandmother always washed the dishes with dry mustard powder. This is a completely natural remedy. It is necessary to pour a little mustard on the bottom of the dishes and then take a damp sponge for the dishes and lightly wipe. It is effective in warm and hot water. Some people now do this, too. Especially children's dishes.

I also remove the scum on a teapot using citric acid. Simply boil the water and the kettle is easily cleaned. I do not see the point of buying an expensive product and then thoroughly washing the kettle off chemistry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I wonder what can be used to get rid of limescale on taps or shower hose ..

This may depend on the hardness of the water. But here vinegar can remove the lime scale. (9%)
It is necessary to wet a sponge, put on 10 minutes for a stain, then intensively rub. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I will try that. I remember pouring a bit of malted vinegar into the toilet bowl and it was clean. But I can't replicate the success. Son took vinegar to the dorm and he reported total failure.

Thank you so much, Larisa. I remember this ecology conscious man who would only use vinegar to clean his hotel.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, @Tjohn . I've got one distilled vinegar and will definitely try it. I feel very bad when I pour bleach into the bowl ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This may depend on the hardness of the water. But here vinegar can remove the lime scale. (9%)
It is necessary to wet a sponge, put on 10 minutes for a stain, then intensively rub. :)
Add a little baking soda to it and let it soak for a few min.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
To clean your cook top you can make a paste of warm water and baking soda ( sodium bicarbonate ) rub in on your cook top and let it sit for a few min. the rub it in and you top will look just like new. make sure you rinse it well. it safe and will lower your foot print. I think I watch to much How clean is your house on you tube. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
To clean your cook top you can make a paste of warm water and baking soda ( sodium bicarbonate ) rub in on your cook top and let it sit for a few min. the rub it in and you top will look just like new. make sure you rinse it well. it safe and will lower your foot print. I think I watch to much How clean is your house on you tube. :ROFLMAO:
Also works for inside the oven and is much less toxic than commercial oven cleaner spray.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@productivegardener Once I used Mr Muscle on my oven, my flatmate accused me of poisoning his girlfriend. :eek:

After that, I never buy any cleaning product for oven.

@Fernsdaddy I have come to appreciate the many usefulnesses of baking soda. I even used it to wash my streptocarpuses.. Good hack, Fernsdaddy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Detergent hot water is good, I sometimes use gasoline/petrol to clean off stains.

I don't like vinegar as they can stain the floor.

Ask a Question