Animals in your garden

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Doves and crows - always the greedy ones! :D
Are these Crows, Magpies or Black Birds ? Or, none of the above? There are different color ones that hang out together. Smaller ones with dark copper color breasts and larger all shiny black ones with long slightly curved beaks......

I'm working on figuring out a possible "Better" image capture device (aka camera) right now...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Your common birds are slightly different to ours here in Britain, but yes I would say they are Crows. Magpies and the other birds you see are members of the Crow family. Without pictures of the other birds I can't identify them, however, the larger birds with curved beaks could be Ravens or Rooks.

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I Googled, they're not Magpies. One down a bunch to go....

My doves on the other hand do look A Lot like the one a member here from Scotland posted a picture of.

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, I get some sort of brown Sparrow goin after the dog's food but none of the birds that come to the dish mess with the Doves. The Doves are definitely the alphas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My doves on the other hand do look A Lot like the one a member here from Scotland posted a picture of.

@Loose Screw It was me that posted the pic of the dove. Post #893 on this thread. :) Having scouted on the web it looks like you may have Mourning Doves which are similar to the British Collared Doves. Apparently the colouring of the birds can differ slightly from state to state.

1700083385142.png

Pictures of the birds you describe would be great if you can get them. Obviously it's easier to identify them with close up pics than guessing from a description.

So guessing at your Crows I've posted this link for you - if you can be bothered to read through it all. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Crows are intelligent. A researcher, pretty sure he was American, captured a crow locally to try it with various intelligence tests over a period, then let it go again. When he was walking home the crow turned up and attacked him, and kept it up every night, but that's not all, as time went on he recruited other crows to help him, until it became impossible for the researcher to walk out.
The crow was pretty damn clever in the lab. as well, it not only found a hooked stick and used it to fish food from the bottom of a tube where it was out of reach, he also figured out fitting two sticks together to make a longer tool when they made the tube deeper.

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm cleaning up my new project before I get Down to the Real Nitty Gritty and I find this in the cowl...somebody got evicted and I don't think it was Remy either the poops were larger (how's That for Too Much Information?)...and this truck does sit in my garden so technically there might have been an animal in my garden.....

IMG_1420.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Bought my wife a BirdBuddy for Christmas. It's basically a bird feeder with built-in camera and is wifi connected. Comes with a Smartphone App. Amazing device. You can watch live on your phone and it automatically sends you photos and video of your feathered visitors. It recognizes birds and tells you what they are. You can also share and view other user's around the world. Has a solar panel roof to keep it charged, so basically all you need to do is refill it. Very cool. They are now coming out with a hummingbird feeder version.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome John. :) Apart from visiting birds that's all I've got as well.
"Apart from", You don't have bloody pigeons eating all your greens then? Nothing pulls up your just sprouting onion sets, eats your peas or digs up your seeds? caught a couple of crows digging for worms among my young strawberries and uprooting them; pesky bird pests :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
"Apart from", You don't have bloody pigeons eating all your greens then? Nothing pulls up your just sprouting onion sets, eats your peas or digs up your seeds? caught a couple of crows digging for worms among my young strawberries and uprooting them; pesky bird pests :)

No @Oliver Buckle, I've got deer instead and they eat just about anything including my roses, so I've given up trying to grow veg! I've also got badgers and moles messing up my lawns.

Ask a Question