17 July 2016 Garden Pictures

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/July%202016/17%20July%202016%20Garden%20Pictures/HTML/ 17 July 2016 Garden Pictures
Took garden pictures for posterity. My garden is excellent considering there was no rain of significance since the beginning of May. I water plants roots on my designated day due to city water restrictions. Grass is ignored. There are few bugs except for the Colorado Potato Beetle, severe infestation, and the Japanese Beetle appeared about a week ago. I pick them off the potato plants. The quantity of produce from my beds is astonishing. Pressure canning a slurry is my main preserving method, which translates into a palatable drinkable juice. Durgan’s Method if you like, since I am the only person doing it.
dsc_064217%20july%202016%20garden%20pictures_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Yes I am retired. I bought this place due to having a large yard knowing I had to have something to employ me during the retirement years. The food preservation was a second thought and it became the focus after I got really interested. I knew a fair amount about growing things and honed skills by experience and of course the Internet gives instant access to information.

The area where I live is a fine growing area. The season is short but the climate is such that the most desirable plants can be grown most years. Almost everything can be purchased within several miles of where I live, so if I don't grow something I buy it for preservation by pressure canning. My own slurry/juice method called "Durgan/s Preservation Method".

I have all the power tools to make the garden effort not too onerous. There still is a bit of wheelbarrow labor but it is tolerable.

I might add that gardening is almost a lost art in Canada. I only know one other vegetable gardener in my area and she is an old country Italian.

Ask a Question