Smiles

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Ian,

I noticed a couple of days ago, the amount of smiles available to use has been reduced...unless I am confusing this site with its sister site, GPF, of which I am also a member. Is it possible to have more "smiles" available? I know as a former forum owner, they can be easily imported and made available to members. Sometimes I think "smiles" help a member convey their thoughts and feelings beyond the words they type. Just curious.

Thanks.
Jim

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good point MoonShadows; anything to avoid ambiguity must be good. Unfortunately text alone can often be misinterpreted and possible offence caused where unintended because body language isn't involved.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I agree that "smiles" and other expressive icons can help set the tone of a post. Otherwise we have just text and not a voice actually saying the words. I use them to say "i am saying this in this tone of voice" so you know i am confused by what you said but not angry". Given that some people on the forums are not native speakers and may have some challenges in that area, and given that collectively we have become much dumber in our abilities to communicate than we used to be, the smiles help to make up for that. Although on this forum i have found very few misunderstandings, and also that some of the non-native speakers are much better in communicating in english than some native speakers of english. I guess this means it might be helpful, but not necessary.:) I think the number of expressions has not changed since i joined. I am still waiting for the opportunity to use the dog poop one though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
There's a dog poop emoticon? Lordy, I need to pay better attention!
Beverly, I also find the English as a second language members often have better grammar and spelling than those of us who use English as our first language.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@marlingardener Here you go :poop: 2nd line, second image. Hmmm, i guess it could be ice cream...no it is described as "poop", probably should be steaming:LOL:. Now that i look at them all again, i see just about every icon is there. The one i don't understand is "barefoot". I have no idea what that one means or how it should be used. And i see a few that could be improved on like the "giggle" and the "need coffee". Also there are about 7 that i've never used or seen used.
idon'tknow.gif

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, crumbs! And I thought this one was a SMILE until 5 minutes ago! :p

Turned out to be STICK OUT TONGUE:eek::eek::eek:! To all those I have sent this hapless emoji.. I have never sent any STICK OUT TONGUE to anybody .. intentionally or unintentionally! Wish they had better emojis! LOL!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, GPF has a much bigger range of smilies on the site, but we've never had it on here before (not sure why I didn't add it at the same time!). I'll see if I can add it later on today for you (y).

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Great, :facepalm: I tried so hard to figure this out.

Still I hope no one mind if I use my set;)

gg2.gif
gg1.gif

I never wish to hurt anyone feelings, by sending wrong smiles, I apologize !
I used to post which closely describe how I feel. Now that when I found out it has meanings, I am really confused which one to use.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love smileys!
smdancingyeah.gif

I've collected tons of them over time, so if anyone needs any...:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members