Salix Purpurea (maybe) gone wild

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

Complete gardening novice here, who has inherited what's very likely either Blue or Purple Willow.

Until today, the bushes were completely covered in vines, wild raspberries, small pine trees etc.
Now that I have cleared all that out, it has left the plants looking rough on one side (please see attached below).

Google StreetView shows me these plants looked small and cute in my yard, back in 2011. Now they are 10 feet tall, and maybe 8 feet deep.

Dilemmas:
Can I safely cut these plants almost back to the ground, so I can start over?
If so, when is the best time to do so? The snow/frost season here is probably Nov-May

Many thanks!

Attachments

• willow.jpg
    willow.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wait until the last of Winter and right before it spouts and is still dormant you can make you cut. Wack it off at the ground. After the last frost and when Spring arrives, the rootstock will send up new stems. I would grow them for a year to two and then pick the healthiest thickest stock and regrow the plant into a large plant again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience, Willow of any kind is so persistent it will grow back whatever time it gets cut back. I have hacked it to the ground on many occasions. Any time during the autumn months is my favourite time. Welcome to the forums Andrew.

Ask a Question