Preserving for the Off season.

Reaction score
I have a dehydrator that I can use just a little bit: the zucchinis will rehydrate and do well for zucchini bread, but I have found that the tomatos and bell peppers are just too annoying to cook with. When I am in the kitchen cooking I want to cook, not rehydrate and then cook!

I have had some successes though, like the grated zucchini that will rehydrate fairly quickly.

This Fall, when potatos go on sale, I intend to grate, rinse, and dehydrate a lot of them. My husband used some commercially dehydrated potatos and he just loved them, and so I would like to put a lot by for this winter. I do know that the potatos must be rinsed well, or they will discolor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I prefer to regard it as doing the work early, so that I do not have to do the work later. I like hashbrown potatos as much as my husband does, LOL!
Hash browns are one of my favorite foods and I could eat them all day everyday. I have found that fresh grated potatoes are not as good when you cook them up as the ones that are dried and frozen. I really wish I had a food dehydrator so I could use that as a means to preserve some food.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does grating them make it safe to freeze them uncooked? I read that freezing raw potatoes can cause the potatoes to produce botulism. If I can shred some of them instead of having to cook 100 containers of mashed potatoes I'm a happy camper!

Reaction score
I have never heard that freezing grated potatos can allow the growth of botulism: perhaps it is true if a large great chunk of grated potatos are frozen, so that it takes a long time for the inner part to freeze?????

I buy frozen potatos in the store and they are fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
don't quote me on this, but I think they can be frozen if they're blanched. I don't know if grated potatoes are risky or not, though.

Ask a Question