Photo of the month

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I love macro/close up pics and another member suggested I request this. A macro photo of the month would be fun :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
With respect it would seem that some members don't understand what macro photography is. There are entries in the competition which aren't macro.

The definition - it should be a close up shot showing the fine detail of the subject that often can't be seen with the human eye.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I wouldn't call any extreme macro but they seem to all be close up enough that I couldn't make out the detail with just my eyes. Not my place to say though. I think they are all beautiful pics :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Although these competitions are just for fun, as with any competition, entries that don't fit the category are disqualified.

Say I was entering the cactus competition at our local show and I entered a Mammillaria in the wrong size pot then it would be marked N.A.S. and wouldn't get marked.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Although these competitions are just for fun, as with any competition, entries that don't fit the category are disqualified.

Say I was entering the cactus competition at our local show and I entered a Mammillaria in the wrong size pot then it would be marked N.A.S. and wouldn't get marked.
I agree rules are rules in any competition. Just to mention though that the exact definition of macro in photography is any subject shot at least 1.1 magnification. That is not much at all. Expectations in professional photography is usually extreme detailed magnification of a small subject unable to be seen by the human eye but that is expectations not actual definition.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just to help anyone out who isn't sure I took a few pics of lettuce seeds to show as a reference.

This pic is not macro...
PXL_20230616_143624283.MP.jpg

This pic is set exactly to 1.1 magnification and is considered macro by definition...
PXL_20230616_143646915.MP.jpg

This pic is set at 5x magnification. It's as good as it gets for my particular camera...
PXL_20230616_144411066.MP~2.jpg

Hope that helps anyone who isn't sure.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm confused.. a few days ago it said on homepage under last month's POTM pic approx 8 days to go but today it's saying approx 19 days to go lol.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm confused.. a few days ago it said on homepage under last month's POTM pic approx 8 days to go but today it's saying approx 19 days to go lol.
Ah gosh, you're so right. I started a new job last month and I've been so busy working on it that I missed the deadline - I'll make a post about it in a bit!

Ask a Question