Oopsie!

Reaction score
These two cukes were hiding in the tomatoes. They're each about 2.25lbs! I know they won't be any good to eat, but they're getting a laugh from all of our friends. What's the largest you accidentally found?
SmPke4y.jpg

Reaction score
Woah, those two cukes to the left are good darn huge! What did you do to get such a huge cukes? My cukes were always small, lol. I always harvested many by plant, but always of a normal size. I rarely ever saw a monster cuke like the ones in your pic tho ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow:) They're giant!
I've never managed to grow any exceptionally big vegetables. It's a pity, because I have a great appetite, lol;) I dream of a really large tomato.

Reaction score
Why don't you try slicing the large cucumbers lengthwise and removing the seeds. Then making pickles from the meaty part of the cucumber?

Reaction score
I think I will do that, evelynmcgregor! Thank you so much for the tip! It would have been a disappointment to get rid of them. They aren't pickling cucumbers, but I know they don't necessarily have to be. Do you have a good recipe you recommend?

Reaction score
This is a recipe I use often because it is so easy. I use it on any kind of vegie,,,, cucumbers, cauliflower, onions, ect.

Pickled Cucumbers
1 teaspoonsalt
1/4 teaspoonblack pepper
3 tablespoonswhite vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 mediumcucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1 mediumonion, peeled and thinly sliced
Combine sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar and oil in a jar. With top on jar, shake until all ingredients are well mixed. Combine cucumber slices and onion slices in a bowl. Pour ingredients from jar onto vegetables and mix to combine. Chill before serving.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Found this hiding on an old compost heap the other day :)

DSCN0261.JPG

Reaction score
Beautiful. But is it a melon or a squash?? It is always amazing what will volunteer in our yards. It kind of looks like a yellow pumpkin. I will be looking forward to seeing any future posts about this lovely little globe!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
He's a Pumpkin :)

Meant to be in a competition on the UK forum, but i'm way behind everyone else due to a late start and slugs nibbling almost thru the stem.

Reaction score
HMMMM I wonder what color his flesh is? Would he make a good pie? And I like eating pumpkin with just salt and pepper and butter like a regular winter squash. So I wonder if he would be good eaten like that. Uh oh,,, nasty slugs,, they seem to get into everything.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a good size cucumber, I am glad you will be able to use it for pickling, it would be a big waste to not be able to use the two of them for something good to eat.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't like Pumpkins that much, too sweet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AidanBH

Latest Threads