New to this tomato...

Reaction score
HI,

I recently planted my tomatoes and I am wondering if I bought an okay kind. They were ones that apparently are bug free? Is that possible? Or did I just buy something silly!

I also borrowed some tomato planters to hang two other kinds upside down. Does that work okay? I have never tried this before but a friend let my try it out this summer so I did.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Bug free tomatoes, I never heard of them. I know marigolds planted near tomatoes are suppose to keep the white fly population down. I also heard that growing basil near tomato's is suppose to be beneficial .

Reaction score
I'm skeptical that the bugs will stay away from any type of tomato. I've heard about planting green onions nearby to discourage pests but I haven't tried it. I have seen tomatoes grown upside down in bottles towers and it seems to work fine.

Reaction score
Not sure about bug free tomatoes, but the upside down planters work ok as long as they are in plenty of sunlight. I used them a couple years ago but found it easier for me to just plant them in the yard. I had a hard time finding a place to hang them that would get enough sun, just the way my deck and yard is.

A friend of mine had a lot of success with the upside down planters (topsy turvy), she had a lot of tomatoes!

Reaction score
I don't know about bug-free tomatoes, every variety I've planted have had hornworms and leaf-footed bugs. Let us know what variety you have, I'm sure we all would like to grow tomatoes and not worry about bugs eating them!

Ask a Question