Metric System is Redefined

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic I've just read it and couldn't get my head around it, then hubby explained more and in his eyes it's all down to more money again :rolleyes:
Thats right. When we make a living we have tools in our hands. The better the tools - the better off we are. When we have fun it is hopefully a brassiere - or a margarita. I am good with either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I remember many years ago the state of Massachusetts wanted to round the value of Pi to 3.0
Their reasoning was it would make calculations easier. Never mind that the answer would be wrong. This is what politicians do when they have no real clue what is going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Silentrunning you are somewhat older than I thought.

Lawmakers in Indiana almost pass a bill that erroneously changes the value of pi to a solid 3.2. Cajoled by amateur mathematician Edwin Goodwin, the Indiana General Assembly introduced House Bill 246, which offered up "a new mathematical truth" for free use by the state. The purported truth was Goodwin's attempt to square the circle—a puzzle which requires that a circle and square of the same area be constructed using only a geometrical compass and a straightedge. The bill unanimously passed the House, but the Senate—and hence the state—was spared from embarrassment by C.A. Waldo, a Purdue mathematics professor who happened to be in the State House that day. "Shown the bill and offered an introduction to the genius whose theory it was, Waldo declined, saying he already knew enough crazy people," Tony Long of Wired wrote. Waldo gave the senators a math lesson, and the bill died.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...r-pi-day-facts-180954521/#QKMREs1ClBrJI3eT.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Ah! Metrifiction.

I remember this joke from just after it came in.

A guy goes into a wood yard

"I need 32 ft of three by two."

"Sorry sir, we've gone metric now."

"OK then, give me ten metres."

"Ah! Ten metres you say? Err.. ten metres..... hmmm." Says the assistant looking at his extending tape measure.

"Ten metres? That's about thirty two feet, isn't it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Back in the early days of working on the ISS there was a major problem with trajectory. After an in-depth study it was found that it was the result of converting inches to meters an vice versa. When we convert a inch to mm it is 25.4mm When most people change to metric they multiply by .03937 for the answer. In reality the correct number is .03937007.

Now I have a headache. :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Back in the early days of working on the ISS there was a major problem with trajectory. After an in-depth study it was found that it was the result of converting inches to meters an vice versa. When we convert a inch to mm it is 25.4mm When most people change to metric they multiply by .03937 for the answer. In reality the correct number is .03937007.

Now I have a headache. :confused:
2nq4pjwe6ng11.jpg

Seriously, when I found out one gram of water is also 1 ml of water, I was happy at the ease of conversion. Now, all I do is measure something of interest and the same volume of water for the specific gravity of that substance against water, and use that simple measurement for grams and vice versa. Ebay sold me a 300 dollar triple beam balance scale for 50 bucks so I am good to .1 grams. The new metric system is accurate to .0000001 I will not be challenging 1 in a billion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
View attachment 47243

Seriously, when I found out one gram of water is also 1 ml of water, I was happy at the ease of conversion. Now, all I do is measure something of interest and the same volume of water for the specific gravity of that substance against water, and use that simple measurement for grams and vice versa. Ebay sold me a 300 dollar triple beam balance scale for 50 bucks so I am good to .1 grams. The new metric system is accurate to .0000001 I will not be challenging 1 in a billion.

Actually, one in a billion or one billionth is .000000001, but who’s counting? :D

Ask a Question