Making a forest area usable for kids and fun for adults

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think this section covers his problem and is pretty much what I was saying.

And If the Above Methods Just Don't "Cut It"....

The American Bamboo Society recommends a different approach to getting rid of bamboo: cutting. Since their specialty is bamboo, I would lend the most credence to their advice, which, in sum, runs as follows:

1. Cut the bamboo shoots down
  2. Apply water to the area
  3. Cut down the new crop of bamboo resulting from #2
  4. Repeat the process until shoots stop coming up.
The idea behind doing all of this is to deplete the reserves of energy in the plants' rhizomes, after which they will not be capable of sending up new shoots.
Those reserves are no longer being replaced, because you are removing the plants' mechanism to do so -- photosynthesis -- by depriving them of vegetation. They can only hold out so long without being replenished (although it may seem an eternity if you are itching to be rid of the plants so that you can start a garden in that spot).

As a concluding observation about using this method, the American Bamboo Society writes that, once you are done, "The rhizomes will be left behind, but will rot away." The reason that these old rhizomes will rot away is that they have been depleted of their energy reserves. By contrast, when you use the digging method (discussed above), the rhizomes you leave behind are still fresh -- and that is why they generate new shoots (rather than just rotting away).
It doesn't seem to say how long it will take for the rhizomes to rot. By using chemicals the rhizomes will be killed fairly quickly. It took me almost 2 years to kill the more invasive spreading type of bamboo. But it is an acceptable means other than chemicals if one is able to water and mow on a very short timetable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is another thought, once the bamboo is cut down go over the new growth with a torch (the kind used to put down rubber roofing. Maybe not the safest way but it would be easier than cutting with a mower

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
daringdorobou, since you have decided to hire a professional, you may want to ask them if there is a difference in price if you do some of the work. I'm thinking cutting them down would take time, but maybe not a professional. You may be able to save a significant amount if you cut it down for them, and have them come in just to remove the roots, runners and tubers. (y)

Last q for you all. Once I've got the forest, what should I do with it?

I've been thinking about how to reclaim the forest as usable - but not WHY.

Maybe something vanilla like some solar lights, hammocks and swing for the daughter...

How old is she? Tent camping is fun in the summer. Some of the trees look big enough and close enough together to build a small treehouse. (I always wanted a treehouse.:love: )

You could teach her to garden. :D

Ask a Question