Earthworms in growbags.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm a baby at gardening. I've started growing vegetables from seeds and scraps in grow bags and pots.

I read about the goodness of wormcastings and purchased some then spread over all of my veggies and potted plants. Then I realised they probably have eggs in them... And then read these 2-10 eggs each worm releases hatch in 2 weeks. The supplier I bought from on eBay saod occasionally there could be a live worm in the pack, so I'm assuming maybe even commercial castings aren't sifted properly or treated somehow... To sell just castings without extras.

Now I do not want any type of worm in my pots despite benefits just because I am phobic... Unfortunately.

I'm hoping there is a way to stop them from hatching! Anyone can suggest anything? All I can find online is info about wormfarms as most love them and 1 YouTube video on separating cocoons from castings before use.. But I have already dispersed this stuff across all on my dozens of plants and vegetable bags... Now I'm worried I won't be able to repot or pull out my potatoes later... As I literally have nightmares about worms. That's why I never did any outdoor gardening.

Hope someone has a suggestion. Except hypnotherapy... Cause I can't afford that right now although might be my only option if I can't make the egga dormant!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Compost worms don't live in soil and will work their way or "migrate" to conditions they like. Unless you have a nice thick layer of mulch on each pot.

You'll be fine.

I find all containers I have on soil will have native earth worms move in and out of them through the bottom holes.

If you can't handle this look into hydroponics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @TonMz Do you have any garden to grow stuff in?

D`you know you can read too much on the internet, and it can make life altogether too complicated. All you need is a patch of soil - or a nice big pot, sow a few seeds, or plant a few bits and bobs, water them and let them grow....... to start with.
If you`re worried about the worms, empty the pots out and start again. A bag of multi purpose compost would be enough if you have no soil to work with :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @TonMz Do you have any garden to grow stuff in?

D`you know you can read too much on the internet, and it can make life altogether too complicated. All you need is a patch of soil - or a nice big pot, sow a few seeds, or plant a few bits and bobs, water them and let them grow....... to start with.
If you`re worried about the worms, empty the pots out and start again. A bag of multi purpose compost would be enough if you have no soil to work with :)
Hey. I'm gardening in my living room only . no garden right now.. Or I could attract the worms out of mg pots and grow bags into the land. I put wormcastings into my grow bags and pots to improve the compost and soil but didn't really consider or read in worm casting recommendations that.. Worm cocoons could potentially hatch inside the pots afterwards...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Compost worms don't live in soil and will work their way or "migrate" to conditions they like. Unless you have a nice thick layer of mulch on each pot.

You'll be fine.

I find all containers I have on soil will have native earth worms move in and out of them through the bottom holes.

If you can't handle this look into hydroponics.
Yes. I'm indoors though.. Just using pots and growbags. The worms have nowhere to go, I'm concerned they will multiply inside my pots and bags.. Eventually we will move to a space with a garden and I can place the grow bags and pots outside then hopefully I can put stuff near the bags to attract them out of my pots..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I mean we only have a balcony right now on the 5th floor... So if any worm eggs hatch in my pots.. They'll stay there but I'll have to wait for a friend to help me remove them if needed to perform transplants or harvests.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear, never mind, don`t panic. If there are eggs in the compost it will take two or three weeks for them to hatch - at least you thought it through beforehand, and there`s plenty of time to change your compost.
Don`t let it put you off growing will you. It is such good therapy. I wonder if there are any garden schemes you could join in your area until you get a garden of your own - that may be worth investigating. What area are you in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear, never mind, don`t panic. If there are eggs in the compost it will take two or three weeks for them to hatch - at least you thought it through beforehand, and there`s plenty of time to change your compost.
Don`t let it put you off growing will you. It is such good therapy. I wonder if there are any garden schemes you could join in your area until you get a garden of your own - that may be worth investigating. What area are you in?
Yes I could go through everything and change it all, but I've mixed it with compost and coco coir and sand and other things. I added a bit to every pot and.. The plants get stressed moving and they've just recovered from all being moved into bigger pots, wouldn't want to upset them. Also my partner has OCD and she is home for a week and no way I can have a soil catastrophe in the living room floor whilst she is here.. So everything is delayed til she's back at work as I usually finish and tidy before she gets home lol.. Also the bag has been devliered about a week ago and idk if it was packed long before.. Wouldn't they have had hatching time in the pack? Although oxygen deprived but.. Guess they don't get much oxygen under soil anyway.. All I know is the worm casting is way mixed in with my dozens of pots and to get rid of it fully I'd have to literally waste all my soil mixed (very expensive and brand new so full of nutrients still and I have no idea where I'd dump it all lol.. I had used 5 40l bags and more from before. Best bet is to keep them until I can transplant into a garden or give them away as gifts to gardeners lol then I can start all new projects or wait til next transplanting and get someone to help me remove worms when moving to fresh soil.. Shame cause the castings are said to be the best nutrients ever! Maybe I can find a supplier who filters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Surrey but from Enfield and hoping to return to Barnet or Enfield.. Might end up anywhere else green near London as my gf likes different locations. I would consider garden schemes or nurseries have been recommended also. But.. How am I ever gonna garden outdoors with a worm , snail and other bug phobia? Jeez. It's hard to even name them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm a baby at gardening. I've started growing vegetables from seeds and scraps in grow bags and pots.

I read about the goodness of wormcastings and purchased some then spread over all of my veggies and potted plants. Then I realised they probably have eggs in them... And then read these 2-10 eggs each worm releases hatch in 2 weeks. The supplier I bought from on eBay saod occasionally there could be a live worm in the pack, so I'm assuming maybe even commercial castings aren't sifted properly or treated somehow... To sell just castings without extras.

Now I do not want any type of worm in my pots despite benefits just because I am phobic... Unfortunately.

I'm hoping there is a way to stop them from hatching! Anyone can suggest anything? All I can find online is info about wormfarms as most love them and 1 YouTube video on separating cocoons from castings before use.. But I have already dispersed this stuff across all on my dozens of plants and vegetable bags... Now I'm worried I won't be able to repot or pull out my potatoes later... As I literally have nightmares about worms. That's why I never did any outdoor gardening.

Hope someone has a suggestion. Except hypnotherapy... Cause I can't afford that right now although might be my only option if I can't make the egga dormant!!
There are other things you can use: worm-castings are great, but not compulsory.

Ask a Question