Automated Scarecrow

Reaction score
Do you have a problem with unwanted intruders in your garden, such as cats, squirrels, deer, racoons etc. ?

If so and these intruders are becoming a real problem by frequenting your garden on a regular basis, then it might well be worth considering installing an automated scarecrow in your garden, which may well be the answer, to humanely deterring these unwanted visitors permanently :)

Every time the scarecrow 's motion detector senses a movement, it will automatically fire a jet-stream of water at the guilty party :D

Just like this :D

water-sprinklers-for-cats-400x350.jpg

This one looks like its being a bit :sneaky:

CONTECH-B000071NUS-1-lg.jpg

cat being sprayed with water.jpg

Should you wish to buy one of these automated scarecrows, they are available online and from garden retail stores.

If you do decide to use this method of deterring animals from visiting your garden, please keep a camera handy at all times :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I could think of a few people who might want this to deter two-legged animals from their yards. One of my concerns in expanding my growing efforts is that someone might decide to enter my yard without permission. I wonder if they make these for taller predators...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I could think of a few people who might want this to deter two-legged animals from their yards. One of my concerns in expanding my growing efforts is that someone might decide to enter my yard without permission. I wonder if they make these for taller predators...

They do

Reaction score
Haha! This is awesome! I clicked on this post thinking it was a question and I was going to say there are some varieties of plants that ward off specific animals but this seems like it would work way better! xD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ROFLOL, @zigs! Yet another great reason to have one of these gadgets on hand. If I were to install one, I would want to hook it up to a tank so that I could put something in it besides plain water. I'm not sure what that would be, but it would be something good, like those dye packs they use for bank robbers.

I bet @ACSAPA could use one of these in the yard as well!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dye and Comfrey tea, they'd never come back again :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Comfrey tea is an excellent idea since it is good for the plants, but maybe any stinky liquid fertilizer would do...

Reaction score
ROFLOL, @zigs! Yet another great reason to have one of these gadgets on hand. If I were to install one, I would want to hook it up to a tank so that I could put something in it besides plain water. I'm not sure what that would be, but it would be something good, like those dye packs they use for bank robbers.

I bet @ACSAPA could use one of these in the yard as well!

Thats a brilliant idea, at least the dye would let you know who the culprits were :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lol!:D I feel so sorry for the cats in the pictures, poor things:p. In my area, there are so many cats! But this wouldn't work for me, since I own a little, nosy dog who spends a lot of time in our garden and who hates water. I wouldn't want him to get wet, because then he would try to bite me:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I loved looking at the pictures' and I think one of those would be perfect for me, since we live out of town, and I have had either the possum or a raccoon that has been getting into my garden at nite, and eating my plants and veggies in there. I would dearly love to give him a few quick unexpected showers, until he got the idea to forage elsewhere.
I guess I will have to look on Amazon and see how much that they cost.

Reaction score
Hahahaha, the cats in those pictures, lol! I had such a huge problem with my cat getting inside my garden to do his business and break my geraniums by rubbing his body againt the poor thing :( I started to think that I'd have to make a hard decision... keep the cat or keep the garden. Glad to know there is a better solution that can keep me and the cat somewhat happy :D

Reaction score
Judging by the responses here, looks like I'm not the only person, who needs a way to stop furry intruders from frequenting their garden :D
In my case it would be to stop my cat from stealing my tomatoes, as she is a bit partial to tomatoes and likes to go 'scrumping' at night. Being a motherly sort, this problem becomes even more pronounced, when she has kittens, as she goes off ' hunting ' and comes back with a tomato for each of her kittens to either play with or try and eat :)

Am thinking an adaptation of the method Zigs has suggested, would help solve my other problem, which is, a husband who pinches my last and only remaining tomatoes, which I had segregated, and specifically put to one side, for the sole purpose of sun drying and puts them in a sandwich.

Claudine - just to put your mind at rest, you don't need to worry about the cats, they don't like water but it doesn't do them any harm :) in fact spraying a cat with a squirt of water is often used for training them.

Happyflowerlady - Hope you found the automated scarecrow on Amazon, so that you can sleep better at night, knowing that it will be guarding your garden, against the nightly visits of the racoons and possums

Trellum - am pleased to know that this method of humanely deterring our furry loved ones, means that you, your garden and your cat can live in perfect harmony :)

One last thing, just to remind anyone who purchases one of these - please, please keep a camera handy at all times :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Tell Hubby that tomatoes are very high in estrogen, that'll keep him off them

Reaction score
Tell Hubby that tomatoes are very high in estrogen, that'll keep him off them

Well I could try it Zigs, but somehow, don't think he would believe me.

Don't think it would stop him either as he always finds, good looking tomatoes totally irresistible :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
That looks great for people who've got beautifully maintained gardens. Sadly ours isn't one of them.

What I would really like is an easy way to keep birds out of our fruit trees. Our plum tree is far too big to cover with bird netting.

Ask a Question