Yin and Yang are real.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have seen the old symbols all my life...and then today I read this article. How did the old ones know this symbology?

Screenshot_20230823_022600_Chrome.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Doesn't that symbol mean there is a little good in all evil and a little evil in all good?
I actually do not know. I know its an old idea but googling that symbol gave the following:

"
The concepts of yin and yang have been around since at least the 1300s BCE, when they were found referenced in inscriptions related to Chinese divination of the weather. One of the first mentions of yin-yang for the concept of cosmic harmony comes from a verse in the Shih Ching, a 6th-century BCE collection of poems compiled by Confucius.

Sometime between roughly 700–400 BCE, Yin-yang was the name of a school of teaching, with chief thinker: alchemist named Zou Yan. The school focused around the idea that all life revolved around five basic elements (metal, wood, water, fire, and earth), governed by the forces of yin and yang, part of the qi, or vital life force, of the cosmos.

Yin, Chinese for “female” or “moon,” represents darkness, femininity, passivity, and the earth. Yang (“sun” or “male”) represents light, masculinity, activity, and the heavens. (Do we detect some sexism, Zou Yan?) The balance of yin and yang were seen to influence health and order within an individual, society, and the entire universe.

And. their interrelationship came to be depicted in the taijitu, or “Diagram of the Great Ultimate”—better known by Westerns as the yin-yang symbol, first appearing in the 1000s CE and attributed to the philosopher Zhou Dunyi. In the symbol, yin is represented by the color black and yang, white. "

Again, pure coincidence? A fever dream from 4000 years ago?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I actually do not know. I know its an old idea but googling that symbol gave the following:

"
The concepts of yin and yang have been around since at least the 1300s BCE, when they were found referenced in inscriptions related to Chinese divination of the weather. One of the first mentions of yin-yang for the concept of cosmic harmony comes from a verse in the Shih Ching, a 6th-century BCE collection of poems compiled by Confucius.

Sometime between roughly 700–400 BCE, Yin-yang was the name of a school of teaching, with chief thinker: alchemist named Zou Yan. The school focused around the idea that all life revolved around five basic elements (metal, wood, water, fire, and earth), governed by the forces of yin and yang, part of the qi, or vital life force, of the cosmos.

Yin, Chinese for “female” or “moon,” represents darkness, femininity, passivity, and the earth. Yang (“sun” or “male”) represents light, masculinity, activity, and the heavens. (Do we detect some sexism, Zou Yan?) The balance of yin and yang were seen to influence health and order within an individual, society, and the entire universe.

And. their interrelationship came to be depicted in the taijitu, or “Diagram of the Great Ultimate”—better known by Westerns as the yin-yang symbol, first appearing in the 1000s CE and attributed to the philosopher Zhou Dunyi. In the symbol, yin is represented by the color black and yang, white. "

Again, pure coincidence? A fever dream from 4000 years ago?

It is interesting. I was told by someone years ago that the meaning was what I mentioned above but after reading what you posted it's not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My inner child is disappointed. Turns out it was an actual yin and yang symbol that was "scanned" with the quantum beam splitter. Fooled again!

Ask a Question