Howea palm getting brown spots and drying up

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
I bought it about a year ago and never repotted it as I've read it likes to be a little root bound and can react badly when the roots are disturbed.
It is away from direct sunlight but in a bright spot. I water it every 7-10 days and mist quite regularly.

Is there anything else I should do?

Attachments

• 20230801_085920.jpg
    20230801_085920.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230801_085928.jpg
    20230801_085928.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just how close to a window is it?
how often do you check the soil moisture?
Does water come out of the bottom when you water?
Does it sit in water for more than a day?

I suspect that it is more of a light issue than watering, but you never know unless you ask. If it is more than 5’ from a window, it needs more light. They ARE low light TOLERANT, but they do better in bright but not sunny conditions. The misting does nothing for raising humidity for more than a minute or so.

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
It's in a corner, just a foot away from floor-to-ceiling windows so I'd say it's pretty bright. I use a moisture meter but it's not very accurate so the readings may be incorrect but I double-check with a finger. I try to water when the top inch dried out.
The water does come out after each watering but it's generally very little as I try to adjust my watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Try soaking it more when you water. Make sure it is thoroughly soaked and the water isn't just running around the outside of the rootball.
Light does seem plenty.

Reaction score
Country
United States
cpp is right friend try bottom watering with a drain tray.

Ask a Question