Yellow things growing on soil!

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone else experiments this, but there are always these yellow dot like things getting in my pots. It might be because I water to much or maybe from to much sun. I think it's just fungi, but I'm not sure, so I wanted everyone's thought. What are those yellow things growing on the soil of my indoor plants?

Reaction score
Yikes! That does not sound good. I would love to read some replies from more experienced gardeners. I don't know what I would do if I found "yellow things" in my potting soil!

Reaction score
I would also love to hear any info about this! Every plant I try to grow indoors ends up with this issue. I usually turn the soil or use a spoon to remove as much as I can. If left alone, it accumulates to the point of being almost like a crust. It ends up looking almost like the top of a crumb cake, just orangish-yellow in color.

Reaction score
Over-watering might be the cause because I think I tend to use too much water. When I see the crustiness of the soil, from the yellowish "stuff", it looks like the soil is too dry and sometimes add just a little bit of water.

Reaction score
I read a couple of articles about the yellowish crust on the soil of indoor plants. Here's what one article said:
Nutrients

Over-feeding is as much a problem as under feeding. Too much fertilizer will cause an accumulation of salts in your plant's soil. You may see a white or yellow crust on the surface of the soil, and the tips of the leaves may turn brown. Not enough nutrients and your plant leaves will turn pale green or turn brown and dry up. To avoid both of these situations, follow the recommended doses on the label of the fertilizer and always water well after fertilizing.

Ask a Question